Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Met Paul Blart


Have you ever lost your child in the store, mall, house, wherever?


On Saturday we lost Morgan at the mall.


She's on this independent kick where she will not hold hands and if she sees something of interest she'll just dart.


Owen and Morgan were playing in the toy store and Shane and I were 5 steps away talking to some lady about houses.


Next thing you know, I can't find Morgan.


There are emotions that accompany each minute your child is gone.


Minute 1--Bugged: "Where the heck did Morgan go?"

Minute 2--Frustrated: "Ugh, why can't I find Morgan?"

Minute 3--Worried: "Okay seriously, where did she go?"

Minute 4--Scared: "Oh my gosh, I can't find Morgan!"

Minute 5--Panic: "A dingo ate my baby!!!"


It's amazing how fast the emotion can change.


Luckily I was only somewhere between minute 2 & 3 when some lady came running towards me asking if I was looking for a little girl and that she was with "the cop".


I head down to the station (the mall station, that is) and sure enough, there's Morgan holding some lady's hand, rubbing her eyes.


I'm not too ruffled because, like I said, I was only somewhere between frustrated & worried.


She runs right too me and I say, "Morgan, you don't run off without Mommy."


Then Paul Blart, Mall Cop steps up to me.


"You're the mom?"


"Yes, I'm the mom."


"Where were you?"


"I was down there, the kids were in the toy store playing."


"Well she was all the way down here. What's your name?"


"My name?"


"Yeah."


"Dixie Dixon."


He looks at me skeptically and then says, "Okay."


Okay? Okay what?


What the heck was that?


Thank you Officer Blart for the thorough investigation of finding out my name.


Turns out, I already knew his.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have made it to the end of those minutes, wow that panic can be excruciating. I can only imagine finding your child and getting the skeptical eyebrow from Paul Blart!! Clearly the mall cop doesn't have small children.

Lana said...

Jeez Dixie. Where were you? Ugh. (total disgust) Paul Blart was right to give you such an intense "shakedown". The raised eyebrow will teach you, won't it?

Jeremy Drysdale said...

next time this happens (...fingers crossed...) give him your first name, then pause for a moment, look up and to the left, and then give him your last name. (oh, and touch your nose a couple times)

Allyson & Jere said...

Ok, I might be crying from laughing, or I might not. That was seriously one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. You had me at "the dingo ate my baby" and it was all downhill from there. Seriously, you have skillz. And in other werds....watch your freaking kid, I mean sheesh m'am, how hard can it be.

Nash said...

HA! Too bad this movie got horrible reviews on rotten tomatoes.
We were in chandler mall on saturday and Paul and I cracked up a bit when we saw the OLD man "security guard" 5 feet taller than us rolling around. I said, "Seriously how fast can he stop and get off that thing when there is a situation?" He was old.
Glad you found her.
Be grateful he made sure you weren't a kidnapper! Although I'm sure as soon as she said "MOM" he shoulda known.

The Dixon Family said...

Don't feel bad, we lost Kylie at the mall once when there were 3 adults and 2 kids. We were searching the wrong floor...Kylie had headed for the cool escalator.

Jenna said...

When I was 2, I wandered into an elevator and started pushing buttons. No idea where I ended up in the myriad of floors that I visited, but luckily for my mom (and me) a nice lady and 2 gentlemen found me and then eventually located my mom several floors away. I have no idea how that's supposed to make you feel better but it's kind of a funny story in a "dingo ate your baby" way.

Jenalee said...

You also had me at the dingo.

LadyCarma said...

My question is: can any of you name the movie that line is from: "A dingo ate my baby?" Dixie, you are too cool. So what was the mall cop's purpose in asking your name? Did he get your name from Morgan? That is weird.

It reminds me of a time after Erlynne had her skull fracture and was in a coma for three days, and afterward, when she went back to school, she had to take anti-seisure medicine. She was very forgetful, besides being a sixteen year old girl, so one day she didn't come home for lunch, and instead went with friends to eat. I loaded toddler Staci in the van, drove to the high school and watched for Erlynne. I couldn't see her, so I left Staci in the car, ran down the sidewalk with the medicine, dashed into the choir hallway, saw Erlynne, gave her the medicine and ran back outside to my van which I had left parked at the curb, knowing it was a no parking area. I had been gone less than two minutes, max. There was a policeman standing by my vehicle. I explained my situation, he didn't give me a ticket (thank goodness for small favors) and then he says to me: "Next time, call 911!" And he left. I just stood there, trying to figure out how in the heck 911 would have been able to help me in this situation. Totally dumb response, right?

Greg and Tammy said...

Glad you found her so quickly... I'm sure those ensuing moments of panic and worry would not be enjoyable!!