Thursday, January 22, 2009

Freckles

I've had freckles my whole life.

I have hated my freckles my whole life.

As a kid I would complain to my mom, "Why did you have to give me freckles!!!"

She would tell me that she was sorry and that she hated them even more. In fact, she tried to sandpaper hers off when she was a kid.

I was never that crazy, but I was always so envious of non-freckle faces.

So now I'm wondering how this can be....I have Owen, who has freckles, and I LOVE them!

I think they are so incredibly cute on him I can hardly stand it.

Those 2 big freckles close to his ear showed up very early on and at first I was nervous about him getting freckles, but now they are just part of Owen and I'd miss them if they were gone.
Owen always asks me to count his freckles.
I did a quick count this morning and told him he has 87.
That got him very excited and he said, "I LOVE my freckles!"


Freckles.
What the heck?

6 comments:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

My husband had tons of freckles as a kid. They are so faint that you hardly notice them now unless you look REALLY closely. It is hilarious, because he said he used to try to run them off. He was convinced if he ran fast enough they would fall off. Freckles really are so adorable! :)

LadyCarma said...

I hated my freckles as a young girl, with a passion, and was so embarrassed by them that I wore long sleeves as much as possible. The summer between my freshman and sophomore year in COLLEGE, I was working in a coffee shop in my small hometown in Idaho. The same grizzled older men came in every morning for coffee. (My uniform was a pink short sleeve dress (this was the late 60's-I look horrible in pink). This morning as I poured the man's coffee, he reached out and grabbed my arm, holding it there and was staring at my freckles. I was pulling to get my arm away from him (I thought he was being a dirty old man), and then he said: "You must really be loved." What was he talking about? "Freckles are kisses from God, and by the count on your one arm, you must really be loved!" After that, I didn't mind my freckles so much!
How is it that a different perspective can change an attitude?

juliespahr said...

You know how I feel about my freckles! Just like you! Hate them!!! But Gavin's are so adorable, well they were. You see his Uncle Kevin decided to tell him where HE believes freckles come from. This conversation started when Gavin noticed how many Evan, Kari's son, has and asked the famous Question! Kevin's answer.... "You get a new freckle everytime you fart!" Nice! Thank you Kevin! Now everytime he lets one rip he runs over and asks me if there's more! Yikes!!

Lana said...

Boo on freckles. Boo boo boo.

Jules said...

I totally remember how much you hated your freckles when we were kids. I think they are/were so cute I never saw the big deal. Of course I didn't have any so I didn't understand. Kind of like everyone wishes they had naturally curly hair but most that do hate it. I am glad Owen loves his, they are adorable.

The Hytes said...

I am FULL of freckles too. I never had an issue with them, and don't want my kids to get a complex, so I tell them how great they are. Now they each want more like mommy and want me to count to make sure more are developing. ??? Who knows, man. All I want is for people to stop telling me there are procedures to remove them because they are damaged skin. Freckles are part of what makes us who we are.