Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fitness Tip #4--Know Before You Go


So you're all geared up to workout, you get to the gym, you look at all the equipment and then you realize, "I have no idea what I'm doing." It may not even be that you don't know how to use the equipment, you just haven't figured out what you're doing.


This is a recipe for failure. You're much less likely to work out hard or long because you can convince yourself, after not much time, that you've done enough.


One of the best ways to work past this is to plan your workouts before you go to the gym. Plan them 1 day in advance (good), 1 week in advance (better), 1 month in advance (best). That way you know exactly what you will be doing.
And don't just plan it "in your head"....write it down.


But I don't even know how to plan a workout...I can hear you all thinking that. Just come up with some ideas of things you've done before, things you've seen other people do, things you did in high school....if you've still got nothin' Google "free workout routines" or something like that and I'm sure you will get a million results full of plenty ideas. Just start.


Or if you want to just be really simple and say "I'm going to ride the bike" or "I'm going to walk/run on the treadmill" that's a fine place to start too. But let me show you how to plan before you go.


Your Plans Before You Get to the Gym:


Not so good--I'm going to ride the bike at the gym today.

Good--I'm going to ride the bike for 40 minutes at the gym today

Great--I'm going to ride the bike for 40 minutes, doing intervals of 4 minutes fast, 2 minutes slow

Excellent--I'm going to bike 40 minutes, 4 min fast intervals, 2 mins slow and I'm going to keep my RPM's on my fast intervals above 95.


Again, it goes back to specificity. The more concrete your goal is, the more likely you are to attain it.


If you have no idea how fast you can go or how far you can go, start paying attention to that and then you can plan your workouts better each time.


Remember, know BEFORE you go.

5 comments:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Excellent Tip. I mean I love the "excellent tip" I need to make sure I have always planned that part before I go!

Jules said...

Thanks for the tip. I was only planning ahead at the good or great level. I will get better now. I almost feel guilty knowing all this free advice that many pay good money for.

LadyCarma said...

That is a great tip/tips for a workout. Having my own personal trainer build a series of workouts just for my body was the best money I every spent. Now I turn on the morning talk shows and do my workouts so I know I will stay at it for at least 30 minutes or more.
I would like to know what you recommend to help build the lower butt (no nice way to describe this) so it doesn't "hang." I have no "bootie" because I am white, older, and have lost weight, but I can't seem to tone that area. Can you give me some advice?

Dian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erock! said...

How about I'm going to sleep in today. good. I'm going to sleep in today till 9am. Better. I'm going to sleep in today and not think about how much I should be working out and how disappointed Dixie will be that I'm a lazy slothful person. EXCELLENT. :)