Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An Unwanted Visitor


A couple weeks ago Shane came home and took the kids on a get-the-kids-out-of-my-face-so-I-can-finish-dinner-and-not-scream walk. He's so good about helping me out in that way.


After they had been gone for a little bit Livy came running back..."Emergency! Emergency!" she cried. "Daddy Shane found a bird with a broken wing. We need some nuts to feed it."


I had no nuts so I gave her a roll and sent her on her way.


As I thought about it for a little longer I was certain that this bird was going to show up at my house (I know my husband).


Sure enough...a few minutes later Shane showed up with bird in hand and 3 very excited kids at his heels.


My immediate response? "Ewww. Don't birds have disease?" Followed by a very disapproving look.


Shane was appalled. "Haven't you ever nursed a sick bird back to health?"


"No." I said flatly.


"You're heartless."


"Perhaps."


I was not happy about this, but I could see the kids were way too excited to put the kabosh on it...so it continued.


Livy told me that they all agreed that we should take care of it. I was the only one that disagreed.


I told her I was certain that her Aunt Allyson would agree with me.


She went to tell Allyson about it and sure enough, she agreed with me. Livy said to her, "Oh, so you're on that team."


We had all sorts of plans for the bird, but the next morning the kids woke up with sore throats and coughs.


Shane dumped the bird back where he found it and googled "bird flu".


Livy was sad and asked why he got rid of the bird. Shane explained that he was afraid maybe the bird had gotten them sick. Livy's response?


"I hate that bird!"


Me too, Livy. Me too.




Here's the creepy bird. I tried to feel a little empathy for it, I did.


Livy is giving me her best "so-sad-for-the-bird" face.


Shane told all the kids to stay against the wall because they were freaking the bird out. I was taking a picture of how cute they all looked lined up, but by the time the picture shot Pig Pen was on her way out.



There's the bird freaking out since Morgan just charged at it. Shane trying to get it.


Finally waiting patiently.





Owen's birthday car box turned out to make the perfect home for this birdy. We gave him food and water, although I think it mostly just got the bird wet.



Moral of the story: Birds are gross.


1 comment:

Lana said...

Well, we can't all be animal rescuers like Diego, can we? That's okay. Glad to hear that Livy ended up switching teams in the end. :)