Monday, December 22, 2008

Um, Excuse me....I'd like to voice a complaint.

The other day I'd had it and I needed to get out.

Shane is very aware when I am feeling like this and when he came home this day he said I should just go out and do whatever I wanted, he would watch the kids. (he does have some faults too, I promise...someday I'll let you in on them).

I told him I wanted a pedicure. (I don't do pedicures on a whim. Maybe once a year and with a lot of build up.)

He said, "Then go get a pedicure."

Whoa. Really? Just go get one?

So I did. And here it is.


This is not my complaint.

The result was fabulous, the experience was....uncomfortable.

I ended up going to this place in the mall because it was the only place open at 7:30pm.

It's run by some family that I believe is Vietnamese, but I'm not certain.

I say, "Hi, I'd like a pedicure please."

The lady says to me, "You want me do manicure too?"

"Ummm, no thank you."

"I do same time."

"No thanks."

"You want me do eyebrow wax?"

"Oh, no thanks. Just a pedicure."

She smiles awkwardly and disappointedly (is that a word) and turns her back.

Then they point me back to the chairs, I sit down and it begins.

There are 2 other ladies in there, besides the one doing my pedicure and some man. They are all speaking in Vietnamese to eachother. I'm nearly certain they are talking about my hairy, white legs or possibly something else they find disturbing about me.

I try really hard to focus on the tiny TV across the room bolted to the ceiling. Suddenly I am very interested in "How I Met Your Mother"...is that even the name of it. I'm straining as hard as I can to read the closed captions so I can be engrossed in the show, but out of the corner of my eye I can feel the lady doing my pedicure staring at me. Really, staring.

So I look back at her and she is smiling a big smile.

I smile back. Then turn back to my show.

Still feeling the staring.

I wait awhile and turn back again...maybe she wants to say something to me. I smile.

She smiles back.

Hmmmm, awkward.

I want to ask her questions and have some small talk, but I'm not certain she'll understand me or me her and then I'd feel really awkward.

She starts rubbing my feet. I still feel the staring but I don't want to turn back...just let me enjoy the foot rub.

I'm torn from my enjoyment...

"Feel good?"

"Um, yeah...it feels good."

"You like?"

"Yes, it's nice."

Big smile at me again.

"You want sea salts?"

"Um, sure."

"5 dollah."

"Oh, no thanks."

Pretty soon we were all done and she ushered me over to the drying lights.

I just kept thinking, "I paid $22 to feel uncomfortable."

But she did do a fabulous job on my toes.

So I gave her a $3 tip.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh, you so funny.
That was my Vietnamese impersonation.
Your toes look lovely and I'm glad you got out of the house. You paid 22.00 to be uncomfortable and NOT do dishes. That could be worth it;)

LadyCarma said...

Here in Texas we have a lot of Vietnamese run nail salons. I have been to a few of them. Most of the people understand rudimentary English and can speak it a little, with lots of accent. I can assure you, they were not talking about you. That is taboo in their culture, to talk about a guest or customer (this according to Tan, my manicurist for many years). They do push "other" service so the bill can be higher. You did well to not cave in to their offers. With the exception of one manicurist, who was really rude to all the customers, I have found them to be a very kind and gracious people. But I always laugh when I first enter their shop because the first words out of their mouth, with a heavy accent: "ou ppicc ou coller?"

Julz said...

I have never had a pedicure and this is exactly why!Uncomfortable, for sure!

Lana said...

that reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine finally takes a friend to the salon with her because she's sure they're talking about her. Her friend interprets for her and she catches them all--it was really quite funny and I always think of it when I go in those places. That's why you have to go with a friend or someone so that you can just talk to them so it's not so silent and awkward.

Liz said...

This is how every pedicure in the great state of Texas plays out. If one of those ladies asks to wax my upper lip one more time.........!

Allyson & Jere said...

This is precisely why you need to go to MY guy Sun. Well ok, he was originally Danas guy, but he's totally my guy too. He speaks english quite well, though accented, and he remembers every single person and their life story. He and his wife own the shop and they're just great. He talks to you if you want, otherwise, he leaves you alone. Oh, AND, NOONE does a better pedicure than Sun, and I do mean NOONE!!!!!!!!!! So, the moral of this story is, screw the kids, go see Sun in the daytime and always have a lovely pedi experience. By the way, i don't get people who won't have pedis. They are truly the greatest gift to mankind. The end.

Crandell Fam said...

Oh my gosh, you make me laugh! You totally described it perfectly. I have a FABULOUS place I go to that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable at all, and they do a great job. But, they are a bit more pricey. I say the comfort is worth it, though. :)