Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Simple Life


The other day as I was standing at my kitchen sink I thought about how much I love my simple life. It's perfect.


We don't have TV. We have a TV, but no channels. So it's DVD's only. It means Shane and I spend our nights talking or reading books together. I love this.



My sister lives 20 paces from my front door. This means if I have to run somewhere or if she has to run somewhere without kids or we're just having a crappy day and we want to talk to someone and hang out...we're there for eachother. I love this.



There are no "Joneses" in the ghetto, so there is nobody to "keep up with". I love this.



My kids are all crammed into one room. They laugh and play and fight at night as they go to bed. Shane and I listen to them from our room and I know these are times they (and I) will look back on fondley. I love this.


My parents house doubles as Livy's bus stop. I love this.



My back fence is 5 paces from my kitchen, so I can dump my bacon grease over the fence into the empty lot there. I love this.


We are 100% debt free. I love this.


We only have one bathroom...which means only one bathroom to clean. I love this.

Shane bought a 1995 teal Saturn so we wouldn't have a car payment. I love him for this.

I know someday we'll buy a house and Shane will probalby have a car that doesn't turn heads quite like this one.


I know someday my kids will probably have their own rooms and my sister won't be a hop skip and a jump away from me.


I know someday I'll have to get a jar to put my bacon grease in and have more than one bathroom to clean.


But until then I am going to really enjoy my simple life.


I hope I never forget it.


It's a beautiful thing.


9 comments:

Marissa Marie said...

I love this post Dixie. It's fun to check your blog from time to time. :) I think it's easy to get caught up in the rat race and bemoan what you don't have, at the expense of being happy and grateful for all the things you DO have! Simplicity IS nice.

Jules said...

Thank you so much for this post. You have such a great outlook on life. I am so happy for you and the pure happiness that you now have.

Lana said...

Boo on simplicity. Debt! debt! debt! I don't want to keep up with the Jones's...I AM the Jones's. ;) Ahhhhh, shucks. You're right, Dixie. Good reminders about being happy and blessed with what you've got.

Greg and Tammy said...

I think it is wonderful that you look at life so optimistically. I just read a quote essentially saying that "abundance and lack of abundance exist simultaneously, we choose which one we recognize." Nicely done Dixie. These are great times, for sure.

Allyson & Jere said...

Stop it already, another perfect entry. AND, my gorgeous mug is in it too. Thanks for making us all stop and appreciate the "simple" things. Love you!

Dana said...

Another good one! And it's good cause you really mean it.....your actions show it again and again. Thanks for walking the walk and not just talking the talk in this forever cute blog of yours! Who ever said the oldest kid has to be the good example" NOT!

Dana said...

Hey wait.....I missed the part where you say that you don't have a dishwasher and "you love this"! *wink*

Kelly said...

Some people search their whole lives looking for happiness and simplicity, I guess it isn't as complicated to find as one may assume!
You have a great "simple" life!

Erock! said...

:) Amen to Dana's points. I learn so much from you all the time. Much Love to you and your sweet family.