Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I Hate the Dentist

Mother Nature, or maybe it was just my mother, dealt me a rotten set of teeth.

I think by age 7 half of my mouth was already silver (and it hurt to put tin foil on my teeth when I wanted to pretend I had braces).

When I was in high school I went to a dentist appointment only to find out I had 5 cavaties. I was devasted. I drove straight to Dariy Queen where my friend Tiffany Hobbs was working, told her the awful situation while trying to hold back tears. She knew just what to do: she made me an Oreo Blizzard. (I have no idea why I had so many cavaties). :)

Then, after Livy was born I went to the dentist for the 1st time in a LONG time. I had told my new dentist about my awful "5 cavity experience" from back in high school, so he looked at me sympathetically when he told me I had 12 cavaties this time. 12!!! It took everything I had to act like a grown up and not fall on the ground screaming "WHY?!" Since I would be bringing him so much business he threw in some free teeth whitening stuff.

6 months later I went back...5 more cavaties! What? How is that even possible? This time he gave me a battery powered Dora toothbrush to make me feel better. (it made me feel a little better).

It was at that time that I became devoted to flossing. I always brushed like crazy, but apparently I needed to take it to another level...the flossing level. Proud to say, no cavaties since. I still don't like the dentist.

Luckily, it appears that my kids do not have my teeth. Livy had her first dentist appointment yesterday and Owen and Morgan have theirs next week. It was a lovely experience and Livy thinks the dentist is something to look forward to, not dread. I hope it stays that way.

X-rays.
I love her expression here...she's not quite sure how to feel about that machine.

She was a pro.

Getting her cleaning. She got to hold the suction, which made her feel pretty cool.

Showing Owen and I her super clean teeth.

Getting the seal of approval from the Dentist.

Teeth. What a pain.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boys LOVE the dentist!! Pediatric dentists seem to be the coolest. I had the same problem as you, every visit blow after blow. The answer was FLOSS once I caved, NO cavities! It is great not to feel like a loser when you go to the dentist. :)

Melanie said...

Gee - I never knew you had such teeth issues when we were roommates. I probably would have made you find a new place to live.

My boys ran out of the dentist's office screaming after they put the scrubbing tool in their mouth. I'm trying to bribe them to go back. Glad Livy did a lot better.

Anonymous said...

My mouth is full of metal, too, hon, so I understand. If you are in need of any moral support, I can say that I have always loved your teeth. Or if that doesn't help, there's always Dairy Queen around the corner...

Jules said...

I don't remember you having all those cavities when we were kids. I guess I was too absorbed in all the cavities I had. Maybe they were from all the candle roasted marshmallows we ate :-) I just took Nathan and Taylor and was surprised they didnt have any cavities. Nathan did great but it was Taylors first visit so I sat in the chair with her laying on my chest during the whole cleaning. The good thing is she wasn't traumatized.

Erock! said...

Not to make you feel bad, but I have only had three cavities in my entire life. I guess I got the good teeth, charm AND good looks, leaving you with bad teeth and great athletic ability.

Julz said...

1st: Kaden actually barfed all over the dentist a few months ago so dont feel to bad. 2nd: I am doing a triathlon in December, I have been swimming 3 days a week and I think I am pretty dang good at it! :), but 'll take any freestyle tips that you may have.

Lana said...

I hate to tell you this, but the flossing isn't what's preventing the cavities now...it's the fact that all your teeth have already been filled!!!! SHEESH. I think I counted about 50 teeth during your post. :) That's more teeth than people actually have! hehehe

Anonymous said...

Ooh...I can't stand the dentist either...luckily, my younger girls think it is 'fun'. I am grateful for white fillings though! They come in handy when I am lecturing the girls about not eating so much candy...and my mouth does not betray the many cavities I myself have had!

BTW, tried the coconut curry chicken...LOVED it! Greg raved about it! Total winner! Thanks for sharing that.

Greg and Tammy said...

I actually have horrible teeth as well... I think 15-20 total cavities in my lifetime. Greg does too! Our kids have no chance. UGH. Glad Livy had a better time. :)