Saturday, November 8, 2008

Did Somebody Say "Competition"?

As it turns out, I was born into a highly competitive family.

Today my brother Porter was over. He sat down and we were all chatting for a bit and somehow the conversation turned to getting new shoes when we were growing up.

As a kid Porter's MO was to pick shoes according to the "traction" pattern on the bottom of the shoe. Then when we would get home he would say,

"The traction on my shoes is awesome! I'll be so fast in these shoes. I can totally beat you in a race."

So as soon as we would get home we would put on our new shoes and race...back and forth and back and forth on my parents front lawn. I didn't care that he was a boy, bigger and older than me. I was certain I could beat him.

We were laughing about this and then I said, "As I recall you usually won, but I think I beat you a few times."

I might as well have kicked Porter in the face. In his mind there was absolutely no way I have ever beaten him and in fact, he could still beat me.

"Really? You think you could still beat me?"

"Yes." he said confidently. "In a sprint. At least 50 yards...probably even 100 yards."

"You think you could beat me the length of a football field?"

"Absolutely." he says.

"It's on...let's go right now."

So we gathered up all the kids (my 3 and his 2) and threw them in the car. Unfortunately Morgan was like this....
But it was time for her to wake up anyway. (well, at least really close).

So over to the Powell Jr. High football field we went. Neither one of us was properly attired for such an event...but why would that stop us? We were both wearing flip-flops so we knew it had to be a barefoot race.

He stretched.

I stretched.


Porter even called my dad to let him know and my dad wasn't about to miss it. He was our official judge. He said, "I don't know who to put my money on." Shane was our photographer.


Here we are at the starting line. If you look closely you can see us mentally gearing up here.


Here we are at 50 yards...the race was half over. Can you tell who is ahead?

Unfortunately Shane missed the picture of us at the finish line because we were moving like lightning. He happened to snap a hideously close-up picture of my face which will not be posted here. (have you ever seen your face while running hard and laughing at the same time...not a good look for me).
...The results? I'm sad to say that Porter actually did beat me by a couple feet. It was a very close race. So I insisted on a rematch--50 yards. I won that one, but only because Porter was near death from our first race.
I find joy in knowing that even though I lost our first race (just barely, did I mention that?) I was ship-shape about 1 minute after the race. Porter, on the other hand, sent me this text about 45 minutes after the race:
Nearly vomited on drive home. Once home, nearly vomited more than the first close call. Promtly had the runs upon entering home. Still fighting urge to spew. Will never eat small dish of ice cream and vanilla oreos prior to any race ever again.
All things considered, I think I proved my point. :)


P.S. My running shoes have really great traction. I'm sure if I'd been wearing them I TOTALLY would have won.

13 comments:

LadyCarma said...

You crack me up! Competition? I would call it highly competitive. It makes me concerned to think Porter was almost vomiting as a result of the race. It looked like a beautiful day for a run in the park. You are so lucky to be near family. I know you appreciate that every day now. Thanks for the laugh!

TheOrttFamily said...

haha...I love all your story telling you say it so well like I was there watching it with you...haha

Crandell Fam said...

oh my gosh I'm still laughing. Had to share that with Troy. I know I would've lost! :) I still wanna race on Thanksgiving or something, though. Just for fun.

RecipeNut said...

I had to read this twice because it was sooo funny. Thanks for a great laugh. I love it!

Dana said...

Okay....I really can't stop laughing. Jayce keeps asking me what's funny. Seriously for someone as stingy with laughing as I am.....I just can't quit. You guys crack me up. Spontaneous, and crazy. And just think Dixie, this fun event worked out so great all becuase you live where you do....By Powell and dad. Cute!

Shane Dixon said...

This is a significant moment in my life, so I want everyone that reads this to take a pause and ponder on it. I have signed up for google and am now a blog commentor. While I have yet to join your ranks as a fellow-blogger, I am one step closer to joining and becoming one of your own. I joined so I could say this:
There are many things I love about my wife. The fact that she will trash talk her own brother and bring him to the near-vomit point is one of them.

Anonymous said...

That was freakin' funny! Dixie, you are something else! I loved your brother's text...

Erock! said...

Dixie told me about this this morning while we were running and biking at the gym. I laughed. I could totally see the whole thing brewing. Funny thing is, I immediately said, "I could have beaten both of you." Yeah, I think competitive explains this clan.

Natalie said...

Dixie,

Hi, I am Greg and Cherry's sister, Natalie. I love your healthy living tips, and wanted to ask a question...I just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and was wondering what you think I could be doing now to loose the extra weight and how soon you think that I would be able to start working out. Email me when you have time at chickerbocker@gmail.com
Thanks

Hot Diggity Daws said...

I wish I could've been there for this race, as a spectator only mind you! There are some races I know I am not ready to win.

That being said, I give props to Porter! Sorry to throw you under the bus Dixie, on your on blog no less. But we all know, you are in the most rocking shape ever and have been for awhile, so I am impressed that he beat you. My husband has his money on you for the triathalon. Endurance Baby! Thanks for sharing, I hope to see The race between ERock, Jenny, You and Port!

Anonymous said...

Okay so I hit send and realized I SEVERELy misspoke. Did I say you have been in rocking shape for awhile? What I meant to say was FOREVER!! When has Dixie not been at Peak Performance? Even at 8 months pregnant she can beat anybody in ankle/balloon popping!!!

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago I raced my youngest brother, he's 6'4" 250. I thought I'd be able to beat him easily (since he'd put on 70 lbs in the matter of a couple of months), but once he got that freight train moving it took everything I had to stay 1/2 a step ahead.

I raced my dad that evening (he too said, "I could've beaten both of you"). He ran so hard one of the muscles in his quads detatched from the bone. To this day the muscle still dangles.

Competitive families are awesome.

Brecker said...

oh my gosh. I just started laughing SOOO hard my stomach hurts. My roommate gave me an odd look so I had to fill her in on the awesomeness of my family. She thought it was the greatest thing she has EVER heard. wow, I CANT WAIT to come home for thanksgiving. I miss this oh so much!! You guys are fantastic! love you tons Dix!! see you in a few days! oh and give those cute kids a big hug from their favorite cousin of all time ;)