Wednesday, March 4, 2009

13:43 Baby!


Last night I told Shane, "Tomorrow's the day.  I'm gonna do it."

He looked at me and said, "You're right.  Tomorrow's the day.  I can feel it."

Now I felt like I had to do it. (I love having a husband that really believes in me).

"It", of course, is running 2 miles under 14 minutes.

I don't even know how I decided this was my goal...but it has been my goal for awhile now.

So this morning when Allyson and I got in the car for the gym I told her that today was the day too.

Now 2 people knew.  I had to do it.

When I started running, my immediate thought was, "This is WAY too fast.  I can't do this."

In fact, the conversation in my head went a little something like this:

"You don't really HAVE to do this today.  You're not quite ready. Just slow down."

"Shut up voice in my head, I AM going to do this today.  I CAN do it TODAY."

"Maybe I can just slow down for a little bit."

"You'd better not slow down.  Keep going."

"I'm really hurting and I want to puke and my legs are killing and OUCH!"

"Come on, it's only a few more minutes.  Just do it."

"I'm only at 10 minutes, aghhhhhh!!!!"

"Look, you're already at 10 minutes.  Just a few more to go."

"But my lungs are burning and I feel like my chocolate peppermint stick Luna protein bar is on it's way up.

"Tara on the Biggest Loser works to the point of vomiting all the time...if you're not puking you are just fine.  Push."

And before I knew it, there I was.  

I was at the finish line.

I had accomplished my goal.

I had beaten that little voice in my head. (that voice can be a real jerk.)

I had not only gotten under 14 minutes, but 17 seconds under 14 minutes.

13 minutes and 43 seconds.

And guess what...

...it felt awesome!


8 comments:

Marissa Marie said...

Way to go Dixie, that's awesome!

Anonymous said...

You probably didn't puke either did you?!!!

Wow, glad to know you had that whole battle in your head too. I am sure at the speed you were running, that conversation was drowned out by the blood in your head! Way to go! :)

Melanie said...

Awesome, Dix. By the way, I'm glad you AREN'T Tara from the Biggest Loser. She bugs me.

Greg and Tammy said...

YOU. GO. GIRL.

runningfan said...

You're amazing! Especially because you've had three children!

MamaD said...

Congratulations - I totally believed in you! I bet you can get even better outside on a track - treadmills suck! (although they are quite good for pacing)

Lana said...

Wahoo!! Three cheers for telling the Lazy Dixie Voice to eat your dust. (well, treadmill dust anyway...) The problem is, now you're just going to keep on this crazy thirst until you've run 6 minute miles, 5 minute miles...etc. When does the insanity stop!? :)

AL&G said...

13 min and 43 sec. That's nothing. You should try for my recond- 2 miles in 13 hours and 43 minutes. Now THAT is a challenge. :) Miss you.