Tuesday, September 30, 2008

True Story. AGHHHH!


Just took Owen and Morgan to the grocery store. Above all the meat/cheese/deli stuff this store has decorations of various things. As we were walking Owen said, "Look, there's a big fat pig!" Unfortunately at this time there was a rather large woman in front of us and I sensed some discomfort ( from her, me or both of us--not sure) and so I restated, "Yes, there is a big fat pig up there. What a funny pig."


As we walked down a little further Owen saw something else and said, "Look there's a _________!" Now as he said this we were walking past a black woman and I swear the word he said sounded like the awful "N" word, which I couldn't understand how he could possibly know because we NEVER say it. So I knew that couldn't be true, but I saw the lady look back and sensed some MAJOR discomfort and I was scrambling looking all over the place for what he was talking about. Then I found it and said, "You're right Owen, that is a BAKER. Look, there's another BAKER over there." Really, my heart skipped several beats.


Then a little later a man that worked there was sweeping the floor right by us and he said hello. As he walked away Owen says in his not-so-quite voice, "Mom, who's that big guy? MOM, WHO'S THAT BIG GUY?!!!"


They didn't have any holes to crawl into, so I just continued shopping. :)

10 comments:

LadyCarma said...

Why is it the kids say the darnest things when they are out in public? I remember when Lana was a little baby, just starting to pull herself up on chairs, and the stake president's wife, Beth, was a very large overweight woman, who usually sat in front of us in Sunday School class. Lana was constantly trying to find a place to pull herself up. I won't go into any more detail. Needless to say, Beth looked around at the baby and smiled a lot. Who could resist smiling at beautiful baby Lana!

And when Lana was six or seven years old, she was squirming around during the sacrament and I whispered for her to be quiet and reverent. She said, rather loudly: "I'm hungry." "Shhhh", I whispered. "Think about Jesus." Lana loudly said: "Why? He won't give me anything to eat!"

Dixiechick said...

Ya, I think Porter still has to watch Lana in public. You never can be too sure what she's gonna say or do. :) Embarrassing.

Kelly said...

excuse me I have to go change my pants. I was laughing so hard I think I had an accident;)
That is too funny!! How does one little boy make one mommy so uncomfortable so many times??
Great stories though.

Melanie said...

another testament why shopping alone is a divine and wonderful thing.

Lana said...

Wow. I won't stand by and be so berated. :) Apparently I used to goose Beth Richmond like crazy. Right in the butt. And I swear I remember doing it when I came up with my mom to sing in the choir once. I was just standing by her, bored, and this lady's butt was right in front of me. ;0 And I was probably 3 or 4. Hehehehe. As for Owen, that was hilarious!! I wish I could have been there, I wish I could have seen it all as a silent observer. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh! That is hilarious! Don't you love kids? So innocent! I remember when Kaylie was about 3, we were standing in line somewhere and the person to pay for something and the cashier was an androgynous looking person, had a chest, but some fuzz on the upper lip as well. Apparently, kaylie thought so too because she asked real loud, "Mom, is that a boy or a girl?" I was a doofus and said pointing to some flowers, "Ooh, Kaylie, look how pretty those flowers are!"

TheOrttFamily said...

I think it's so funny to hear stories of other parents and what their kids say because...you know we have all been there..boy wow what a grocery shopping trip..haha

Jenalee said...

I love it. When my niece was about 3 my sister had brand spankin' new visiting teachers come over. One was wearing an unusual necklace and Rachel stood there looking at it for a moment. The lady, noticing all the attention asked her what her name was. She said "Wachel. (Then pointing at the necklace) What the h*ll is that?"

My sister just smiled. What else can you do?

Dixiechick said...

Okay Jenalee...that story wins!

Crandell Fam said...

My most embarrassing "fat" story was with Carter at Wendy's. We were standing in line in front of one of the most enormous human beings on this planet (and he was a bit scary looking to boot) and Carter turned around and basically FROZE and said: "Mom! Look at that FAT MAN! He's just SO FAT! Why is he SO FAT?!" And after I tried and tried and tried to get him to shut the h*** up he refused to stop staring and pointing and looking completely scared and confused. The kindly gentleman was NOT happy, and looked totally pissed off at my poor 3 year old boy. AWKWARD!