Friday, September 19, 2008

My Husband Is A Fine Wine


People are like fruit. Some get better with age, like grapes. Some get rotten with age, like bananas. I know many times people think if you are 34 (or over 25 for that matter, at least in mormonville) and not married, something must be wrong with you. And in many cases they are probably right. But not with Shane.


He's amazing and has taken on me and three kids like it was what he was meant to do. He gets up with the kids every morning and gets them breakfast while he lets me get a few last winks in before the day starts. He makes Livy's lunch every day and he even cut her sandwhich into the shape of a heart the other day. So cute. I never think of stuff like that...he does. He knew she would love it, and she did. He worries about the kids like they were his own...how do we teach them this or that? He's always concerned.


But even more than his love for the kids is his love for me. He rubs my back nearly every night. He's exhuasted. He gets up super early, works hard all day and doesn't stop for a break once he's home. He just keeps going, helping with dinner, cleaning, kids, bedtime, stories, etc. He's tired and probably sore all over too, but it's me he worries about and insists that I let him take care of me. Even when he was sick. It's amazing what having someone who loves you can do for you.


So how did Shane make it to the ripe ol' age of 34 without becoming rotten? He must be made out of grapes... aged to perfection. :)

10 comments:

✩Molly✩ said...

Reading this post brought tears to my eyes. So much love. I love that he cut her sandwich into a heart :) You have such a beautiful family.

Allyson & Jere said...

Ummm, maybe the sweetest entry ever. I nearly cried, and i don't cry. Thanks for sharing. You really did get lucky!

Allyson & Jere said...

But I did forget to say. Uh, perhaps you shouldn't be comparing him to "wine"...scandelous! Dixie, WORD OF WISDOM. Ever heard of it? Sheesh! I think perhaps a good sparkling cider reference would have sufficed. HA HA!

Anonymous said...

This was so sweet, Dixie! Just think...all that time of his being single was to prepare him for you and the kids! So awesome.

Cassie and Chad said...

That was a sweet post. I am so glad to hear you are happy and that you love your life. It's fun to catch up with old friends! (Cassie LaRue)

juliespahr said...

Sooooo worth the wait!! You both scored big time!! I LOVED everything he said at your wedding and was so touched by it! You guys are so blessed to have each other!!

Jenalee said...

I love it. Welcome to the blogging world. :)

Miranda said...

I'm glad you finally gave in and became a blogger. I'm also so happy that things have turned out so well for you. Shane is a great guy, which is fitting since you're such a great girl. I got your cute gift, thanks so much for thinking of me. I'm scheduled to be induced on Thursday, so I'll try calling you this week to catch up.

Nash said...

That was a perfect post.
I have always heard the wine reference when talking about sex. HA!
I am so happy for you, even if I wasn't invited to the wedding to hear those sweet words. WAH!
Hope to meet him someday.
I am extremely happy for you. What a great guy to do all of that.

Greg and Tammy said...

You deserve every second of it - and Shane is lucky to have you, too! What a wonderful couple and let's not forget about those darling kids!!