Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Just Flip It--It Makes All the Difference


As I was driving down the road a few days ago I had this awful thought, "I can't believe I wasted 7 years of my life in a bad marriage." Especially now that I know what life can be like. Often times when I have thoughts like that I will begin to spiral and one negative thought leads to the next and before I know it I'm in gloom and despair. But I knew I didn't want to be in gloom and despair (I've been there too many times), so the next thought I had was this..."You know what, I'm glad it was ONLY 7 years." And as I said that to myself I really was glad. It could have been longer. It could have been worse. I could have never found Shane. Just flipping my perspective made all the difference and suddenly I was able to see the good things in my life. I didn't feel trapped or upset...just lucky. And truly, I am lucky.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great attitude, Dixie! You know those 7 years were also preparing you for Shane...Think of how much you have grown and learned through all those tough years. I bet you appreciate him that much more as well knowing what the opposite was like. I'm just so thrilled for you!

Lana said...

And hey, don't forget what came out of the 7 years...the picture of your kids at the top was pretty fitting for that post. :)

Marissa Marie said...

Aww, Dixie, I'm so glad you have a blog, and that I was able to find it!!! I hope you don't mind that I will keep tabs on you. You sound happy, your family is beautiful, and I am so glad you have a guy who knows just how lucky he is to have found you!!! BTW, my hubby is 34, never married before, and he's turned out to be a diamond among rubies as well! There are some good guys out there that take a little longer to find their match. :) I'm glad he was still around.

LadyCarma said...

Someone said something about "experience being the best teacher." It is true. You are so much the wiser for what you have been through. And, unlike too many people in the world, you know how to use your past experience to apply to your current life. You have the right attitude. Just remember, whence cometh those negative thoughts!

Marissa Marie said...

Found you through Lana. Who I found through my cousins...it's like seven degrees of separation or something.

Kelly said...

I'm glad you can "just flip-it". A lot of people are unable to ever do that and you are much better off, being able to do it and also in your currents situation!!!
You are such a good blogger! I love all your updates.

Nash said...

Dixie,
Some women never leave.
Just be careful to never let your kids hear that.
I always knew how much my mom hated my dad as a kid and it was very hard on me. ( i realize you have probably already dealt with this)
I have some family members who were in similar situations and the mom never spoke badly of their father (i wished she had sometimes, or as they were old enough to understand) ANyway, I'm glad you were able to put a positive spin on it, like you said you don't want to become down, it's so easy to do. I agree you are most likely a different person now than before. Anyhoo I could go on and on. Hope to see you someday?

The Hytes said...

I actually just heard about your divorce from Joy about a week ago. I am so glad you got in touch!! It is amazing where our lives have come over these past years. It is great to see you so happy, and in love! Plus, you're in AZ, so what could be better? (I miss AZ!)btw... how do you know the Rush family? They live a few houses away from me.