Thursday, July 29, 2010

Are You Trying Jo Chuff Me Up?

Well, are you?

No those aren't typos. It just happens to be the saying on the coolest shirt I have ever seen.

Yesterday I went with Shane and his 19 Chinese students to the Heard Museum.

So fun.

These students are seriously such cool people. (another post on them pending)

Anywho...one of the guys was wearing a shirt that had a cartoon drawing of a panda. The panda had a thought bubble coming from his head. You know, that looked like this:

And inside the bubble it said "Scribble".

Um, okay.

But then just below the panda it said:

"Panda Panda are you trying jo chuff me up?"

I read it about 10 times before I finally asked Shane if I was missing something.

He called the student over so we could read it better, and one of the other students was reading it with us. Shane just started laughing and said:

"That is total Chingrish!"

The students all started laughing--they loved it.

But I realized it was something like this...

You can make a racist remark if you are good friends with a group of people or if you are in the group of people, but if you are on the outside and make a comment like that you'd better be careful because they just might try jo chuff you up.


4 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

My friend visited China a few years ago and brought back some "black market" movies. They were American movies, but the plot descriptions on the back had been translated from English to Chinese and back to English. They were HYSTERICAL. Anyway, please don't chuff me up, it's doesn't sound pleasant.

Lana said...

Did they all just laugh at you and refuse to explain? What does it mean? I must know...

Nash said...

Hey Paul speaks Mandarin.
We hung out with all the dancers the year we got married at Ricks Int'l Folk Festival. One of his RM friends ended up marrying one. Weird huh? Very cool experience.

Jenalee said...

Sooooo.....I was watching Wipe Out on tv tonight and I totally thought of YOU! You should go on that show! You would rock.