Sunday, July 4, 2010

Annoying Pet People...Don't You Just Hate 'Em?

I have always been so bugged by people that think their dog is so cute or funny.

I'd hear people tell stories about when their dog died and how sad they were and I'd think, "It's a dog...give me a break."

Well, I have to say, I officially understand those people.

Somewhere over this last year I've let this cute little Cheagle named Jersey into my heart, and you know what? I freaking love my dog!

It's embarrassing to catch myself telling people stories about her like she's one of my kids. Or Shane and I will watch her play with one of her toys and laugh because it's so cute the way she does it.

She's got personality and spunk, but most of all she is very sweet and so good with the kids.

But she's a DOG!

I know, I know. But she happens to be the best dog ever. :)

I had no idea when we got her that she was the perfect dog for our family. I didn't even know you're supposed to think about what you want when you get a dog...I just wanted her. Come to find out I just got very lucky. She's not a barker (yes!), she's super smart which means she was pretty easy to house train (yes!), she's very good with kids (yes!), she's short-haired which means way less shedding and no need for hair cuts (yes!), she's small so I can carry her when necessary (yes!) and she's the Olivia of the dog world...just so good. :)

So a dog like this deserves a birthday party when they turn one.

And that's what we did.

I made a chocolate, bone-shaped birthday cake (for us, not her).

And we even had her blow out the candles. (I think that's Owen's mouth there helping out. Jersey's blowing skills aren't the best).

The kids really wanted to get her some gifts too. So I took them to the store to pick something out. Olivia insisted on using $2 of her own money so Jersey would know it was just from her. Morgan gave me a Venazuelan coin that Shane had given her to pay for her gift for Jersey (which she later snaked out of my pocket and put back in her bank). And Owen just laid claim to the other toy we got for her.

We had some family over and literally sang Happy Birthday to Jersey.

Holy crap? When did this happen to me?

But you know what? It was so fun and the kids loved it.

Jersey has brought a lot of enrichment to our life and we love her for it.

I really have to say, she's one of the family.

9 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

I know, you are a total freak show! WHO ARE YOU and where is my real sister!

I'll admit, your party cracked me up. But, it was nice to spend a little time with the humans. 'Cause, well, you know, I don't ccare for the dogs. But, I will readily admit that she is indeed a very good dog.

azandersens said...

Just don't start dressing her in clothes and stuff and it will be okay. :) The question is, is she going to appear in your family picture like on your Christmas card?

Tracie said...

Dixie, I completely understand! And i promise you will cry when she leaves this earth. They really do become your family especially when they are good dogs and you have them for years on end. Love the party and cake! Too cute!

Greg and Tammy said...

That is hysterical. Let's just pretend it was all for the kids, OK? :)

DianD said...

If only everyone knew Jersey! They'd understand. She is so cute! And so loved! And such a princess! And so FIT! Slim and trim and active! Yep! She's yours. She came to earth to be part of your family. Lucky Jersey. Lucky you guys. :)

Liz said...

wow. thats the most convincing argument i've ever heard for why to get on board with the pet love. i'm still not aboard...but i'm glad you're enjoying the ride!

Hot Diggity Daws said...

The last picture convinced me...I see happiness and Jersey love for sure! Next time I'd like a recording of the birthday singing...if it isn't too much to ask. :-)

Kelly said...

Dogs are the best, and it looks like you got a good one. In my opinion every kid should grow up with a pooch. When we had dogs my favorite was going into a pet superstore and being instantly accepted into a rare club of fellow dog freaks aka your new best friends. Love it. I'll have to look into that bread if we ever decide to walk down that road again.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Cutie Dog...
Vets in Richmond Hill
veterinary emergency clinics in richmond hill
Vet Emergency Clinic Mississauga