Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shoot For the Stars!

I know. I've been on a roll the past few days. So here we go again.

Lana has a sister in town visiting and she has 2 boys, ages 7 and 11 I think. As we were lounging in the pool yesterday she was telling me a little about what they want to be when they grow up.

The older one wants to be either an engineer of some sort or an architect. He takes things apart and puts them back together, builds things, has a crazy brilliant mind.

The younger one is quite into chemistry. Chemistry? I don't think my children even know what that is. Apparently he wants to be a chemist or world famous scientist and tells his mom that he is going to cure all disease. What the?

The reason I found this so fascinating was because the day before yesterday Owen and I had a conversation about when he grows up. He informed me that he really wanted to go to college. I asked him what he wanted to study at college and he said, "I don't know. I don't know really what they do there."

So I explained that you go to college to study something that you'd really like to do as a job when you get out of college. So then I asked, "What do you want to do for your job when you grow up?"

He looked to the side, thought for a second and then turned to me quite proudly and said with a smile, "Ice cream tester."


The look on his face was something to the effect of: Holy crap! I really get to PICK what I do when I grow up. Then it's going to be something awesome!

No worries. At this house we teach them to dream big!

So far we've got Owen the ice cream tester and Morgan the duck.

Quack.

7 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

You and Shane may want to consider a HEFTY retirement package as it appears that your children will not be contributing much to your later years. :) Funny story.

Allyson & Jere said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! That is adorable and hilarious all at once. It's ok Dix, an ice cream tester is a worthy goal indeed. Besides, it merely proves that he is indeed YOUR son.

And furthermore...disagree all you want, but jeggings are still NOT ok.

Dana said...

LOLOLOLOL I love it!!! hahahah Seriously love that post, that kid, and I'm STILL laughing, Quack!!

lol

Nash said...

That...IS....Hysterical!!!!
i love that you embraced it instead of feeling like a crappy mom, which is what i would have done.

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Wow if he had seen the picture you posted with this entry he would ABSOLUTELY have to be an ice cream tester!! It inspired me to have a career change!

DianD said...

Well, I got my laugh for the day over this!!! Soooo funny! I could just see Owen's eyes sparkle over this one! Sooooo funny! and a duck? Awesome!

Crandell Fam said...

That's hysterical. Yep. We get to pick what we want to be alright! That's a good choice if ever I've heard one!