Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Seven Never Looked So Good



When Olivia was in my tummy I knew, I just knew she was going to be girly.

It was almost as if I was given visions of her prancing around the house in the most girl-like fashion.

I was right.

I don't know how a newborn can act girly, but she did! Even though she didn't have much hair nobody ever mistook her for a boy baby...she always looked like a girl.

When she was 18 months old (maybe even younger) she decided she would wear nothing but skirts. I mean NOTHING but skirts. (oh, and swimsuits). I'm a jeans girl people, this was a frustrating stage for me. Not to mention we were living in Utah and dealing with snow. It was rough.

She finally evolved to accept other types of clothing. She's got a greater fashion sense than I do and she loves to accessorize and dress up like she was 20-something.

Lana and I are certain our girls must have gotten switched at birth because her daughter is a total tomboy and loves to wear T-shirts and jeans all the time. See THAT I can understand. :)

Needless to say, I am quite grateful to have a dainty daughter. I've learned a lot from her and how to appreciate her differences from me. I love who she is. How could I not?

Fashion aside she is one of the most kind little girls I have ever known. If she ever sees me upset she will come and rub MY back and tell me it's okay and ask if there is anything she can do for me. She told me the other night that I'm perfect--and she actually looked like she believed it when she said it. (Livy, read this post when you turn 16. :) )

Once when she was a baby...we're talking maybe 15 months or so...she was sick and I didn't know it. She didn't want to eat and she hadn't eaten for a few days and I was quite worried. Finally one day I just sat in front of her high chair and cried (more like sobbed) and begged her to eat. To my surprise she opened her mouth and ate...everything.

Then, she threw it all up.

Do you see what I'm talking about? She just came with this very tender heart that always wants people to feel okay no matter what she's gotta do.


She's also incredibly observant of the world around her. I got a new pair of "Miss Me" jeans. As I was talking to my sister about them Livy told me, "Oh, Kiley's mom has Miss Me's."

And she said it like she was a 17 year old talking to her 17 year old friends.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"Because she was wearing them when I was over there."

Wha?!

I didn't even know this brand existed until yesterday when I got them.

She's also into music in ways I didn't even know. Today in the car she announced that the Beatles are her favorite band. Tatum was unfamiliar with the Beatles and asked her if she likes Taylor Swift.

"I absolutely do." she replied.


She's just so grown up in her responses sometimes.

Tonight as we were eating and Morgan said she was eating her 2nd piece of pizza when really it was her first Livy tried to correct her.

"No, you're wrong. It's my 2nd." Morgan protested.

Livy just looked at me out of the corner of her eye and smiled coyly.

"You're right Morgan."

Then she turned to me and said, "It's no use arguing with a 3-year old. It's the most impossible thing in the world."

How can one little seven year old girl be so wise?

I know if I were seven right now, I'd really want to be friends with Livy.

But I'm even luckier than that...

...I get to be her mom.

13 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lana said...

Sorry, I had to delete my first comment because Allyson was still signed in on this computer, so I had to fix it!

I love Livy's response about arguing with a 3-year old. That is hilarious. She is wise indeed. I think Tatum has grown up a bunch since Livy's moved into town. Livy is a special girl and we love her!

azandersens said...

So cute. She sounds a lot like my Izzy.

MamaD said...

I can't believe how fast they are ALL growing - we can't wait to see them next week!

Hot Diggity Daws said...

She sounds wonderful. She is right about arguing with a 3 year old. Love the picture of you with the girls.

LadyCarma said...

Last May 9, a Saturday, and Lana was newly home from the hospital with Crew, she wanted to go to your parents house for the celebration of the run by those who had finished. With all the food, purses, and the baby carrier with sleeping Crew outside on the front lawn, I stayed behind to watch over things while everyone else went in the house to view the video and get cake and ice cream. I was walking around near the front door when a bunch of the girl cousins came running outside to play. Brooklyn looked up at me and said: "I don't like you!" I was so surprised with this statement that I think I said: "I am sorry. What did I do to offend you?" and she ran off to play. But Livy was standing there and heard the statement, and with her empathy in full swing, she said to me: "Why would she say something like that to you. She doesn't even know you. I think you are a great grandma." And she sat on the chair with me, talking to me for several minutes. When I assured her that I was okay if she wanted to go play with the other girls, she replied: "No. I would rather stay here with the baby and keep you company." And she was six at this time! She is a very special girl.

Melanie said...

Ok, that proves it right there. I was meant to have all boys. Because I have never heard of the brand "Miss Me's." Did I even type that right?

Livy is adorable. That picture of her crossing her legs in the car makes her look like she's at least 14. What a special little girl. And you deserve every little bit of it.

Allyson & Jere said...

Such a cute post. I love reading thhings like this because I don't feel like I ever spend any time around her. Her comment on arguing with a 3 year old is hilarious and PRICELESS, oh and so true!
Loved it.

Natalie said...

We love Livy too. Can't wait to see her again!

Jenalee said...

I very much remember the swimsuit and skirt stage. Yes, it was the middle of winter.

:) You've come a long way Liv!

Dana said...

What a great post--great subject matter, but just so well written too!! I laughed out loud at her 3-year old comment and looked at her picture in the car for a long time. Felt like I was really "seeing" who she is. Isn't it amazing to get to know each individual child and find out who they are? Thats the best part of motherhood.

DianD said...

We are all blessed by Livy and her wisdom! Great post. How wonderful that you are able to appreciate the differences between you and your children and not try to make them all into your clones. For some of us that takes a long time to recognize! I love that our children are all so different from one another and yet such good friends and that our grandkids are as well! How blessed are we!

Damian said...

Could you stop her from growing up for just a little bit?