Saturday, January 2, 2010

sheROX 2010--Are you in?


Last year at this time I started a little group of women on training for their very first triathlon. It was the Danskin sheROX triathlon at Tempe Town Lake, and it was awesome! I have to say it was and still is my favorite triathlon.

Here is my top ten list of why this triathlon was/is so great:

1. Open water swim. I thought I would hate this. I was even a little nervous about it. Turns out there was nothing to be nervous about, the lake water wasn't nearly as disgusting as I thought it would be and it is SOOOOOO much better than a pool swim where you are on top of people (or underneath) all the time. Plus it just made the experience so much more real. Loved it.

2. Blaring music and big crowd. Nothing makes you feel more cool than getting out of your open water swim as Justin Timberlake's Sexxy Back blasts over the speakers and a huge crowd of people cheer you on as you run to transition. Super cool. Totally felt like a rock star. :)

3. Packet Pick-up. This is what you do the night before the race. You go pick up your race number and a bag of goodies, usually energy bar samples, drink mixes and other such things. We also got our caps, looked at the course, and got a glimpse of the transition area. It was especially fun because all us ladies went together. Way fun.

4. The Race Course. While the bike course was definitely harder than others I have done, due to some hills, it is definitely my favorite because it's interesting. You get to go over the Mill Avenue bridge, there's water all around, and big airplanes flying overhead because the airport is very close. It's a fun ride, run and swim. Great course.

5. It's All About the Women. I'm not usually the "girl power" type. It's never really been my thing. But there is something so empowering about this huge group of all women getting together, in every different shape, size and fitness level you can think of, and doing their best to complete this race. And even though it's a competition there is kindness and camaraderie all around. I loved this aspect of the triathlon. Girls rule! :)

6. Medals. When you cross the finish line at this triathlon they immediately place a medal around your neck. Not all triathlons do this. Some only give medals to the first 3 or 5 places. Not this one....everyone that finishes gets a medal put around their neck. And they should. To complete this triathlon is a great feat. When you finish they recognize your accomplishment.

7. Organization. This is by far the most well organized triathlon I have ever participated in. This might not seem like too big of a deal, but when you've been in several highly unorganized race events, then you start to appreciate how very important this aspect is. The course is clearly defined, there are plenty of people to help and answer questions, and everyone seems like they know what they are doing. Very good.

8. Friendly Volunteers. Again, unless you have had the opposite experience, you don't realize how important this is. This is a large event which requires a lot of people to keep it running. It's easy for these people to get stressed and start yelling at participants. I've had this happen at several other events, but not any at this one. All the volunteers were very friendly, helpful and informative. It makes your whole experience better.

9. Family Support. There was a large amount of family support out for this and the nice thing about this triathlon is that there is plenty of room for all that family support. Lots of good places to watch from and even a little water park play area for the kids to play while their mom shows everyone what she's made of. Having family and friends there to cheer you on is the best! ***plus we had a sweet after party!***

10. Crossing the Finish Line. This was BY FAR the best part of this triathlon. Not me crossing, I mean watching all three of my sisters and my cousin cross the finish line. And every single one of them did it. All the way. Even Allyson who got 2, yes 2, flat tires. Can I be a proud mama of my own sisters and cousin? I sure felt like it. I know where they all started. I know what they all sacrificed to get there. I know how hard it was--and therefore how sweet it was to complete it.

And you know what? They are going to do it again! (at least my sister's are--how 'bout you Wendy?)

If you've ever wanted to do something like this, do it.

Crossing that finish line will make every moment of training and sacrifice worth it.

Quit watching other people accomplish things.

It's your turn.

3 comments:

Mel said...

This is Allyson's friend Melissa. I was pregnant when you started training last year, but I'll do it this year. You can get my email address from Allyson :)

Dana said...

I'm in!

Allyson & Jere said...

I'm so in! (This is Jenny again). Can't wait!