Monday, May 11, 2009

sheROX 2009 Triathlon--COMPLETED!


Did you wonder if they would really do it?

I didn't.

There has been blood, sweat and tears, but on Saturday, May 9th, 2009 Dana Rodgers, Allyson Van Patten, Jenny Crandell and Wendy Daw completed their first triathlon.

And they did well.

Saturday morning dawned and we made our way to Tempe Beach Park to set up our transition areas.

Temperatures were the hottest all year...topping out around 103 or 104 degrees. (I had no idea how much this heat would play into the race.  I foolishly didn't bring a water bottle for my bike and had a mishap in transition between my swim and bike so I didn't drink anything before my bike ride.  Can we say dehydration?)

There were about 450 women participating in this event--that's a lot of estrogen in the air. :)  

The race consisted of a 750 meter open water swim, a 13.5 mile bike (with a lot of hills), and a 3.1 mile run.

The heat definitely made this the hardest triathlon I've ever done, so I was doubly impressed that each one of them finished.

They have trained hard and it paid off.

I can't tell you how proud I was to watch each one of them cross that finish line.  To know where they came from and to see what they have accomplished.  

It was the best birthday I could have had.

Allyson even got 2 flat tires, causing about a 35-40 minute delay in her time, and she still pressed on to finish.

This was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Here are the stats for everyone:  (the number next to our name is the place we got in our group/how many people in our group.  Click here to go to the official results site.)

**click on their names to see their own blog reports of their experience.

35/46  DANA RODGERS     

swim 25:18.9

bike 1:04:11.0  

run 0:50:22.3  

TOTAL:  2:25:43.4

 

43/46  ALLYSON VAN PATTEN      

swim 21:03.7

bike 1:35:41.2  

run 0:51:12.1  

TOTAL: 2:54:08.6

 

14/81  DIXIE DIXON              

swim 16:22.1

bike 0:45:27.0  

run 0:29:45.5  

TOTAL: 1:34:10.6

 

52/81  WENDY DAW               

swim 19:38.8

bike 0:54:10.6  

run 0:37:17.4  

TOTAL: 1:54:36.2

 

46/75  JENNY CRANDELL

swim 18:04.9

bike 0:55:06.6  

run 0:37:45.8  

TOTAL: 1:55:15.6


Here is a quick video of our adventure together.


It's been awesome girls.  I love you and can't wait to do it again!



Now it's YOUR turn to realize your potential!!!

12 comments:

Wendy said...

You really are the best coach! What a great experience. I love how you just have to commit once. Once committed that's it!!! There is no going back. The training schedule and pointers were fantastic. Can't wait till we get out there again. The only thing sore is my sunburn!!!

Julz said...

looks pretty amazing, hope you had a good birthday!

Dana said...

THANK YOU!! I was too dehydrated for many tears on Saturday, but reflection has caused those gratitude and happiness water fountains to find lots of flow! Thank you for helping me do the "impossible" and for never ever giving up on me. Thank you for helping me understand that it is never too late, I'm not too old, I really don't miss soda, and I don't ever have to be unhealthy or fat again. And wow, thanks for posting my stats right out there for the world to see!!! Cause they'll only be BETTER from here on out. I love you Miss Dixie.

Dian said...

Wow! CONGRATULATIONS from your biggest fan, and greatest cheerleader! You all ROXed! One proud Mom and Auntie am I! I watched the video and cried! You are all truly AMAZING LADIES -- in our out of triathlons! It was a wonderful day. lOVE YOU ALL!
Mom, (Aunt)Dian

Allyson & Jere said...

Amen! Amen to Wendy's, Dana's and Mom's comments. I don't think I could add anything more. It was awesome, I'm sooo happy I "foolishly" said out loud that I'd do it. Hooray for Tri's. You're the best....don't move away from me. Waaaaaaahhhhh! Oh, and people, go back and look at MY stats subtracting 40 minutes from the bike and the total time. NOT BAD huh?

juliespahr said...

WOW!! I've been checking your blog for the past 2.5 days about every 3-4 hours waiting for this updated! CONGRATULATIONS to you all!!!! So amazing and inspirational!! Good job Dixie, I don't doubt that you are the BEST COACH EVER!!!

Crandell Fam said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN This was seriously one of the greatest experiences of my whole life. I still cry every single time I think about it or read about it or watch the video...all of it is just so overwhelming in a good way, and my emotions seems to seep right out of my eyes! :) You are the best, and I am so grateful to have been a part of this amazing group. Thanks for helping us all to reach our potential...and to keep right on going! :) Can't wait for next year!

Nicolle Webber said...

You girls should be So proud! Great job and keep it up coach Dixon!!!

CJ Rush said...

You guys are inspiration! Way to go!

Greg and Tammy said...

Kudos to you Dixie for training them so well and for finished great in your group!! Greg and I are going to train for the triathlon in November! Thanks for your inspiration!

The Hytes said...

You have given me inspiration not only to compete in my own tri, but to finish it! Thank you for your help in every aspect, and I really do wish we were close so we could train together. I'll have to settle for your long distance motivation and continue to check up on your blog for more advise and tips. I love you girl, and I really miss having you around!

Casey Forese said...

Your awesome! I have wanted to do a triathlon forever. I am so impressed.