Saturday, May 16, 2009

The "After I..." Trick


Here is a little trick I like to use when I'm trying to eat better.

After lunch and dinner I often want to eat something sweet.  Often. :)

I have found that if I can just stave it off, sometimes I can get it to go away by using the "after I" trick.

I will tell myself, "After I finish the laundry I can have a cookie."  So I do the laundry and see how I'm feeling.  

Then I'll think, "Well, I've made it this far just fine, after I finish cleaning the kitchen I'll have the cookie."  So I clean the kitchen.

Often by this time I don't feel like I really need the cookie anymore and I go on with my day.

Sometimes I do still want it, and I have it.  But at least by then I have allowed my lunch or dinner to digest some and my metabolism is running more efficiently to be able to deal with the cookie.

Next time you think you have to have something try the "after I" trick.  Get your mind busy and focused on something else besides food.

You'll be surprised.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

That is a great trick. I'm going to try it!! I'm reading the book "The eat clean diet" I really like it. It is the first book on nutrition I've read that I really agree with. You might like it too?

Lana said...

That is a good trick indeed. "After I" finish writing this blog comment, I'm gonna go eat some M&M's. :) hehehe

Summertime Designs said...

Dixie, that is such a great idea. I've always tried to just fill myself up on water to see if that helps (but that just fills me up and DOESN'T satisfy the craving!) I have noticed that if I am out and about doing errands that I am rarely hungry; it's only when I am at home that I have my issues. So this is a great idea to get myself busy doing other things. I will start this trick tomorrow. Thank you! By the way, awesome job on your triathlon. You look so fabulous and your biceps are literal stones in your arms! That is so great that you've been able to help your sisters and cousin too. When is the next triathlon? I just started training again and would love to join in on the fun. (I've been planning on the Desert Grande on Halloween...a personal fave because it's easy; but Cory and I used to do the Tri in the Pines in Show Low (in August). Is there one sooner?

The Hytes said...

That works in my running. ie. "I will stop running and walk when I get to _____." I run much longer than I would have otherwise.