Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oh To Be Four Again...



Morgan is now officially incorporated into Swim Skillz.

It's been rough, but we are getting there.

Yesterday I explained before we got in that if we could stay focused and on task we could get through the workout in 30 minutes and then have time to play when we got home.

Now, I have said this before, but for some reason it really struck a chord with all of them yesterday and they hit the water with force.

Even the lifeguard (who has been with me through this whole journey) commented that, "They are all business today."

'Twas true.

And Morgan was hyper-focused.  This is the girl that screamed and cried at me for having to swim just one lap.  But now she was going like crazy on her own.

I told her to swim 2 laps freestyle.  Instead she swam a lap, got out and did push ups, and then swam a lap back and asked, "Okay, what's next?"

I think I just sat there blinking at her for a second trying to figure out what was going on.  Needless to say I gave her several more laps of kicking and freestyle and then she told me she wanted to do Butterfly.  So she swam about 1/3 a lap of a pretty decent butterfly and then came up and said, "Did you see that?"  I said, "Yeah, that was really good." And she said, "Yeah, but I was taking like no breaths and I was like 'What am I doing, I'm not taking any breaths!'" And then with that she decided she was done and went over to the other side of the pool to play.

Well, what Morgan doesn't understand yet is that she doesn't decided when practice is over.  I do. :)

So I let her play for a bit while I worked with Owen and Livy and then when she came back over I informed her she had 2 more laps of freestyle and then she would be done.

She yelled,  "Ahhhhhh!  I already worked so hard and now you're just making me do more!"

"Yes, you have worked hard.  You've done such a great job, now you just have 2 more laps and you are done."

And then as she slapped the water some more in frustration she yelled again and said, "I wish I was still 4! When you are 4 you have a better life!"

I looked at the life guard to see if he was getting this, and he was, and we both just laughed and I told him it was probably true...when you are 4 you probably do have a better life.  But alas, she is 5 and hard things have come upon her, the most recent thing being two more laps of freestyle.

Eventually she got it done.  She somehow survived and everything was okay.

But let's be honest, life will never be the same.

Five is just not four.

4 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

Hahahahahahahaha, THAT is funny. She cracks me up. If only i could get Maggie to swim anything but dog paddle. Hmmm.

Lana said...

Hilarious story and the picture at the end is just perfect.

Greg and Tammy said...

I wish I were four again too...

Hysterical story.

DianD said...

Total LOL! She is a riot! And good for you for helping her see it through to the end! :) ONE of these days she'll thank you that she's conquered hard things and isn't still 4! :)