Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Marketing Madness

Don't even worry about it.  I'm totally writing a blog post.

So the other day I said something in passing to Shane that went like this, "Yeah, Owen wants to have Scott over for Friendly Friday so I had to...."

Shane: "Wait. What? Friendly Friday?  What the heck is that?"

And so I had to explain, not just "Friendly Friday", but what I have figured out works wonders with my kids...for them and for me.

I market everything to them.

Yep. I've become a marketing whiz.  Does anyone want to hire me?  I have some really fabulous ideas. :)

I think it started with swim skillz.  We gave it a name.  It became an actual "thing", so if we missed it we didn't just miss going to the YMCA to work on our swimming, we missed SWIM SKILLZ.  It was a real thing and we didn't want to miss it.  In the simple act of naming it became more important, more significant.  And suddenly I was understanding marketing a little bit more.  Why iPads/iPhones/iPods etc are so cool, in part, is because of the name.  It's not just a small little computer, it's an iPad.  Bam!

So I have developed names for real things we do and suddenly they become more real, cool, important and fun.  That's how "Friendly Friday" came to be.

Play dates these days are no longer an easy affair.  Gone are the days of living in the neighborhood with all the kids you go to school with.  We are blessed with cousins close by so we can play with them, but I want the kids to know how to make friends with other people too.  We live a good 8.5 miles away from the school and any neighborhoods that feed into it.  So play dates require me tracking down the mom of the child my child has selected as their "Friendly Friday Friend", getting a phone number, actually connecting with them on the phone, and then working out the details of pick ups and drop offs.  It's no easy feat to say the least.  It usually takes a few days to actually speak to the mom.  And I have to do this for all three kids.  It's awesome.  I do feel it is important for them to connect with their peers outside of school.  But I also know that the headache of doing all of this calling and setting up is annoying and just the thought of it makes me want to take a nap on the couch.  So for my own sake I gave it a name and a place: Friendly Friday, every other friday.  This did two things: 1. It made me feel like I have to follow through and 2. It gave the kids something they really look forward to.

Now my kids tell me who they want to have over for Friendly Friday like it's every day phraseology--catchy isn't it?




It's ok.  You can use it too. :)

6 comments:

garciagirls said...

I've missed your posts! Your such a great writer and mom!

Jenalee said...

Yes! You are a great writer and mom. AND, to prove to you how much you inspire me, I have come up with.....Kute Kitty Klub. And do you know what ELSE?! I'm inviting you! We have FIVE kittens for you to choose from and I'll mail it to you! (Quicker than the Girl Scout Cookies!)

Liz! You are invited too! Remember when we were members of your kitty club? I often wish there were some cute Garcia girls headed over with cinnamon rolls. We were living the dream, girls!

Jennifer Caudle said...

I love it Dixie! So clever :). Thanks for sharing!

Natalie said...

Great idea! I think I will do it!

azandersens said...

We've done "Fun Friday" for years. If Izzy's practicing didn't get done, FF was out, and it was a SAD day. I think it only happened once.

DianD said...

Such a clever lass! You must've come from heaven with such a fun spirit and crazy marketing know-how because your mom.... well not so much! Much better way to do things than, "Get in there and do it because I said do!" Way to go, Dixie! :)