Monday, April 2, 2012

Shane's iPad Cake

So somebody had a birthday yesterday.

38 years old this guy is.

He may be born on April Fool's but we have made it a family rule that BECAUSE he is born on April Fool's we will never play any April Fool's jokes on him.  

It makes him exempt. 
(we may have learned this the hard way in prior years. :) )

So, as is custom for me, since Owen's first birthday when my neighbor, Jenalee, taught me how to make special cakes for the people I love according to what the interests of that person are at the time, I made Shane a special cake.  

For Owen, at age one, it was an Elmo cake. (pretty easy)

For Shane, at age 38, it was an iPad cake. (not as easy)

*(I fear for future reference if I do give credit to Olivia now for helping me come up with this idea I shall hear it for the rest of eternity.  So let it be known, Olivia came up with the iPad idea!)

But then...I had to figure out how to do it.

Now let it be known, this is simply a labor of love.  

I'm no professional (obviously) and I have no special tools, so what I do I make up as I go along or try to find a YouTube video to help me out.

This was my second fondant cake ever.

Here is what I came up with:

Shane is taking an App Design class for his PhD right now and is really enjoying it...and spending plenty of time on it.  That's how I knew he was interested in it...you see how that works.

So that's where I came up with the oh so clever: h"APP"y birthday.  

That wasn't Olivia at all.  That was all me. :)

The many hours this cake took was worth it to see how excited Shane was about it.

He loved it! :)


We didn't have 38 candles, but I did have a 3 and eight other candles that Lana tried to put on the cake in the shape of an 8.  Can you tell?

Here is Shane making a wish.  

I'm hoping it was for a million dollars...or world peace I guess.

Let's hope it comes true...
...whatever it was. :)

6 comments:

Lana said...

The fact that you don't have special tools and still made it look that amazing--that's more impressive to me than someone who goes to school for it with training and tools galore! Impressive. Happy birthday to Shane too. :)

MamaD said...

Impressive! I'm seriously thinking of buying a cake or cupcakes for Lucy's birthday. What I really want is something that tastes extraordinary. But I guess it should be what she wants, huh?

DianD said...

Absolutely AWESOME!!! You have amazing talents. Who needs special tools! And, truly, labors of love are the best gifts ever! Happy Birthday to Shane and Congratulations to you on your cake! :) Love you both!

Jenalee said...

I am so proud.

And lets talk about that Angry Bird button...amazing.

Now, my birthday is in July and when it gets closer I'll send you a list of my current interests. If you make me a Ragnar cake this friendship is over.

Allyson & Jere said...

You are hysterical. No really, the entire commentary of this post was too funny! I love your special cakes and frankly, I think you're pretty darn good at them. Me? I don't even bother to make a box cake...usually Peggy just brings over an ice cream cake and we call it good. I've got some work to do.

Mel said...

Wow! Totally impressed, Dix. The cake is awesome!