Wednesday, August 18, 2010

1500 Pieces--Oh my!

Shane and I have a puzzle schedule that goes something like this.

Greer--puzzle
RECOVER
Christmas--puzzle
RECOVER
... repeat...

So pretty much every 6 months we have it in us again to want to do a puzzle. We decided this past Christmas that we shan't ever do a puzzle again larger than 500 pieces because it takes all day and we pretty much ignore everyone around us because we HAVE TO FINISH. So why the heck did I bring a 1500 piece puzzle to Greer? Well, because it was free (handed down from Allyson who apparently had no more use for it) and it was brand new, with plastic still on it. We had to at least give it a try. And unlike Christmas where we only have one day, we had a whole week!

I think we started it within the first hour of getting to Greer and finished at the end of day 3. We didn't work on it straight, but there was some solid time dedicated to it. We got some help from others this year including but not limited to: Jere (who discovered the joy of puzzling isn't as nerdy as he once thought), Porter, Troy, Dad, Eric and some of the kids who thought they were helping but mostly just moved pieces around.

It's always nice to finish because I do feel like I wake up out of a trance and look around like, "Hey, I didn't know you were here!" So when all was said and done it looked like this:

(it BARELY fit on the card table we started on...that added a whole element of trickiness!)

Amazingly enough, we finished with no pieces missing, even though I had to tackle Jody who had stolen the last piece and put it in her pocket. Sneaky, that one.

Some people complained that we shouldn't take a picture with just Shane and I because we weren't the only ones that puzzled, but let's be honest people...95% was Shane and I, so pose we will!

And our final helper was Morgan. She kept herself busy and her complaints to a minimum while we puzzled. This was quite a bit of help. She would also tell other kids to back off if they got too close. She was such an asset.


All in all, I would say my puzzle quotient is definitely filled for a good long while.

We'll see what Christmas brings....

5 comments:

Lana said...

I'll have you know that each morning--long before you guys made your way over to the cabin--I would sit at the table in the good light and puzzle away. Ha. So, credit is due. :)

But it totally made my eyes crazy in that crappy evening lighting!! I don't know how you did it.

Julz said...

Wow, I didnt know that all your kids would be in school next year! What a wierd feeling that must be! The pictures of Olivia on the first day made me smile, I have one of each -a frilly girly and a tom boy. Lets get together and do something I need to get out!

Bryson Jones said...

hmmm why did I never see this puzzle? Was it DE-throned before the time I arrived. Sad day, I love contributing to them. P.S. cutest kids ever on the first day of school.

Natalie said...

I love your last few posts! And I really miss doing puzzles with you. I'm pretty sure a puzzle hasn't been done since you haven't been around. Maybe we should bust one out next time you are in Buffalo.

Tara Fischbeck said...

Hey Dixie its Tara Brink...I am stocking your blog from Julz!! You have such a cute family! I love your cakes! I love the Noah's Ark puzzle too...it is my favorite puzzle...I bought it in college and still pull it out every once in a blue moon!