Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Bash Triathlon--Race Recap

We did it.

Halloween triathlon completed!

Olivia and Owen's first and they did awesome.

We started friday night at packet pick-up. The kids got really cool bags full of stuff and I got a bag full of really cool stuff.


This is also where you get your number. We got some good ones.

We left at 4:30 am to get out to the race and it was FREEZING!!! Here we are pool side waiting for the kids swim to start and just hoping that it started to get a little warmer. Olivia wasn't sure she wanted to do it since she was so cold, but she got over that.

Morgan was our "cheerleader duck". She's really good at it and shouts stuff like, "Come on Owen, I know you can do it!" and "Go MOMMY!" She's great at what she does. She was a mini-celebrity at the race. Everyone kept laughing, "Oh my gosh, look at the cute little duck." Then Morgan would tell me all proudly, "Everyone is laughing at me." I couldn't help but make the contrast between Olivia who nearly dies if anyone is laughing at her. Two very different girls.

The race finally got underway. Olivia kicked booty on the swim. She passed 3 girls in 50 meters. Pretty impressive. She transitioned well and took off like a pro on the bike. Owen did okay on the swim but got stuck behind some kid with his dad in the pool helping him so he had to dog paddle trying to get around them. But he transitioned well too and took off like a pro on his tiny little bike. Then it was in from the bike and off on the run. Livy and Owen both took off like rockets. I missed Owen crossing the finish line because trying to coordinate everything was very tricky, but here is Olivia crossing the finish line.

I was so proud of them and they had a lot of fun. They decided triathlons are pretty great.

Here I am waiting on deck for my swim to start, which started 40 minutes late, btw. That was lame. Shane found a nice warm spot inside for he and the kids to hang out in so I was talking to them through the window.


Out of the swim and onto the bike. I finished 2 in the swim.

Took off on my bike and felt great. No women passed me and only a few men. That's never happened to me before.

Then onto the run.

Here I am sprinting to the finish line because I could see Shane and the kids cheering me on and telling me to sprint, sprint, sprint!!! So I did.

I ended up getting first in my age group (out of 19) and 5th over all (I don't know the total number of participants). I was happy about that.

Also cool is that Olivia got first in her age group! This made her quite happy because she's been stressing since they day we signed her up that she might not win.

Owen got 3rd in his age group. He did great!

Building the big guns already. :)

How sad is it that my 6 year old daughter has bigger calf's than me?

My little triathlete.

My other little triathlete.

My awesome husband who allowed me to do all this and got up at 4 am with me even though he has two performances for his musical today. Thanks Shane. I love you!


P.S. If you want more race details click HERE.

6 comments:

Lana said...

You look amazing in those pictures!! And I'm so proud of Livy and Owen (and Morgan too!!) That is seriously impressive!

Greg and Tammy said...

CONGRATS on your placement!! I smell a family tradition coming on... :)

So many cute pics of you guys.

MamaD said...

Wow - you totally inspire me! That picture of your arms was enough to do that. I really need to find something to do - consistently. I went for my first run in a very loooong time yesterday and it sucked. Just reminded me how out of shape and weak I am. So it is really hard to get out of the inertia of not moving when it is so discouraging to feel like that. And you think Arizona is cold - try Utah! But I was so winded and sore. But I know that I need to do something and that it only sucks in the beginning. But boy, were they right in Physics when they say that objects at rest stay at rest and object in motion stay in motion. You keep going and going and I keep sitting and sitting. Maybe someday, I will do a triathlon with you. For now, I think I'll stick with my jogs. At least I found a girl at church to jog with tomorrow - maybe we can motivate each other.

Allyson & Jere said...

CONGRATS on your placement, not that I'm surprised. Seriously, some of the BEST pictures EVER! And Morgan as the cheerleader duck was enough to make me giggle unabashedly; ADORABLE! Very cool that your kids did so well, and braved the cold to do it. I'm getting excited for our next big day, even if I am a heffer.

Dana said...

WOOO-freakin-HOO. I already knew most of this exciting news, but I was totally RE-excited to read (and see) it all again. Seriously-I'm pretty proud and happy that we're related!!! And that this family is getting their butts in healthy gear......all thanks to you (and Porter's original trip to the crazy gym.) :-)

Natalie said...

Congrats! Do you think I have a chance of getting buff arms like you if I stick to your workouts? You look great!