Wednesday, July 13, 2011

School Clothes Cash

I'm still on a quest to make sure my kids learn how to appreciate things.

I want them to learn to work and place value on the stuff they get.

I'm going to squash out entitlement if it kills me. :)

So here's my latest gig.

School clothes.

They need them, and I'm gonna get them, but I don't want the kids to think they get them no matter what.

So I've developed "school clothes cash".

They have to do 1/2 hour-1 hour of work for me (depending on the job) to earn some "cash".  Once they have their cash they can come spend it in my "store".  My store consists of school clothes I have already purchased for them and they can pick out one item of school clothes per job they do.

This will teach them:
1. That every piece of clothing has value--they know, because they have worked for it.
2. How good it feels to work for something you want. (they keep eyeing what they want to get next).
3. To take better care of their clothes.
4. That they don't get something for nothing.

The funny thing is they really like doing this.  It's more exciting to them.  And it's great for me because they are begging me to do work around the house! :)  Livy has literally said to me several times, "Mom, is there anything I can do for you PLEASE. I really want some more school clothes cash."  I'm just having a hard time coming up with enough jobs for them to do.

I'm telling you, it's fantastic.

Come August my house will be clean and my kids will be well dressed.

Lovely.

2 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

That is a fantastic idea! I used to have to pay for 1/2 of my clothes.

lrbodine said...

I'm totally going to steal this idea when my kids are old enough for school!