Thursday, April 29, 2010

Owen el Klepto


Well, congrats. The seven of you have all encouraged me, so I will post. :)

To my audience of seven:

I think Owen will be my top story because he is my top frustration as of late.

As mentioned briefly in my last blog (which was just yesterday, in case you didn't notice), Owen has turned into a kleptomaniac. And I mean kleptoMANIAC.

This kid wants to sneak everything...even stuff he doesn't have to sneak.

So he's always looking at you with these guilty eyes and you're like, "What? What the heck did you just do? Did you just take something? What did you take? Stop looking at me with those crazy eyes and just tell me what you did? What? What the heck is it?!?!?!"

But he's not talking. Just staring at you and shaking his head with crazy, guilty eyes.

So it's up to Morgan, his accomplice in crime--but also his biggest rat--to let me know what's really going on.

The other day she was in my room with me and said, "I think I need a little snack." So she leaves and comes back to tell me she just had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Ummm, you were gone for like 3 seconds and you can't make your own sandwich. She caught my look of confusion, had some guilt maybe, and took me to Owen's room where she showed me he had stashed a bag of marshmallows--her "little snack"--under his bed.

This was extremely aggravating because it was coming on the wings of him stashing an entire bag of cookies underneath his bed and eating them all--well, apparently with a little help from Morgan.

First off: where am I when he is sneaking all this crap? Weird.

Second: he has told me that he just really, REALLY needs the sugar and that his tummy told him he needed to take it. What in the?

Thirdly: well, there is no thirdly. I just don't know what to do to stop all the sneaking. It's driving me insane.

Unfortunately all this misbehaving calls for discipline and all this discipline has led to Owen telling me he would like to "Quit the family."

I simply informed him, "You can't quit the family."

"Why not?" he asked me very quizzically.

"Because we need you."

"Oh." he said...and although he didn't say it, I think it made him feel important.

Which he is.

I just love this kid--sneaky, crazy eyes and all.

We all do because when he's not being crazy (about 1/16th of the day) he is the sweetest kid you've ever met.

14 comments:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Quizzically?!! Awesome! Wow, I am glad to know more about this interesting little guy you've got growing over there. Funny stuff, no doubt frustrating, yet I still might pick sneaking junk eater over sneaking mess maker. See now, aren't you glad you didn't keep such interesting stuff to yourself? Plus, what if you never wrote it down and forgot a few delicious aspects of the story? Thanks for Sharing.

--Do you like my not so subliminal attempt at encouraging future posts?

LadyCarma said...

Your story of the marshmellows under the bed reminded me of when I was in Mesa at Easter and it was Saturday and the children were in and out of the house, and one time Owen came in, sneakingly, and I heard something under the kitchen desk. I went looking and he was sitting under the counter, curled up with his knees to his chest, with the "look" in his eyes. I thought the same things you posted about: "what did you just do that makes you look "guilty", or what is going on here." And I found my self wondering if Dane learned his sneaky behaviors of late from his older cousin. Dane comes and asks me if he can have a poptart. It is five minutes to lunch time so I tell him that I am finishing the painting and will fix lunch in ten minutes. Can he wait ten minutes? He leaves the room. In the course of fixing lunch I discover in the closet in the toy room, he has opened and taken a bite of four poptarts, and left the mess on the floor! I asked Porter to deal with that one. Some kids are sneaky!

Julz said...

Handled like a pro, I'd say. I want to catch up on all the new developments in your life, I'll call ya.

Mel said...

Eight. Eight readers. What am I? Chop suey? So, I haven't had time to comment on yesterday's post but I DID try to call you last night (found out I have the wrong number...guess I should call more often) because I was thrilled to see an update. AND I have lots of questions. In no particular order, I'd like to see posts on the following:
1) Shane in Iraq (uh, I am way out of the loop, apparently)
2) Pictures and timeline of when you moved into the new house, how you like it, etc.
3) How your business is going/general update on you (don't roll your eyes, little Missy)
4) Of course updates on the kiddos - like this klepto one...it had me laughing out loud even though I know that for that 15/16 of the day, you probably aren't laughing

Allyson & Jere said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's what I'm talkin about. You STILL got it.
That Owen, seriously, if he weren't so cute, even in his mischief, he might be locked permanently away. And I agree, at least it's minor food stashing, and you have Morgan to consistently rat him out. My only suggestion...change the door knob on the pantry and LOCK IT!

Now, how about an entry on Morgan, 'cause that girl says some funny SH.

RecipeNut said...

Dixie, I've missed your posts, so I'm VERY glad you're back!

Lana said...

Funny post. You're a good mom because you know when to say the right things that will still help your children to feel loved and needed. Even in spite of being reprimanded Owen will remember that he's important. Sweet.

Greg and Tammy said...

Um. So as long as the klepto behaviors don't leave the home, right?

Jules said...

Glad to see you posting again. I have a few things to say. 1st I agree with Allyson. Put a lock on your pantry. I love it on mine. Not that my kids really steal food just they (mainly Natalie) pull stuff out and make huge messes. ie Pancake mix all over my family room this morning. 2nd be glad he is only stealing food. I have stories about all my kids taking stuff from stores.

The Dixon Family said...

I'm glad you're back, Dixie! Your post reminds me of the 1970's Electric Company episode of "Sneak a Snack" You should youtube it. If nothing else, you'll know you're not alone.)

Sarah said...

I am sorry to say that Thomas is our klepto. We have locks on the pantry, and in the process of putting one on the fridge. Last night he took a loaf of bread into his room and made a royal mess. He was not too happy when I made him clean it up this morning. He has eaten more than his fair share of my gluten free food as well. (Which costs 5 x's as much money, and should warrant 5 x's the punishment right?)

John remembers that he was caught once with macaroons and his mom made him eat the entire box right in front of her. To this day he cannot eat one.

Liz said...

Well, well, well! Looks like you're up to twelve readers, eh? I missed you too! You're too witty and real a gal to make us all miss out on your snippets...keep em' comin'!

Allyson & Jere said...

YO! I awarded you something on my blog. Go check it!

DianD said...

This is what I'm talking! How else can I find out abou klepto grandkis (except watch them carp all the chocolate treats from my candy bowl and have Owen wonder how I could possibly have known when I told him to throw all the papers away and he was in time out) :) Love these little snippets of your lives. Keep 'em coming.