Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm at a loss for a title....something about reading.


I've got myself a reader.

Her name is Olivia.

I'm really happy about this because I never grasped the joy of reading until later in life (in fact, while I enjoy it, I still don't grasp it as well as others).

I think my brain and my body just don't stop long enough to get "lost" in a book.

I can probably count on one hand the books I've gotten "lost" in and it was fabulous, but it's a rare thing for me.  This doesn't mean I can count the number of books I've read on one hand, just the ones that have swept me away.

I like reading, but it's more work for me than enjoyment most of the time. (Are all my book club friends gasping right now?  Sorry, it's a confession that had to happen). 

But Olivia, she's a reader.

This is certainly the other side of her DNA coming through.

She's started reading everything!  Signs on the street, cereal boxes, whatever she can.

A few days ago she was reading a book about Dalmations.

She was quiet for a long time and very intent and then she said, 

"Mom, this is so cool!  It's like TV in your head."

Hmmmmm, I think my tuner is out.

4 comments:

shane said...

So untrue, Dixie! You speak lies! Dixie is absolutely a fan of reading and she was reading me a book last night that we were both enjoying. In fact, this morning she said that she wished she could read more of it today.

The Dixon Family said...

Kylie's a bookworm too. Whenever I get her a new one she won't put it down until she's finished it. She loves the Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew books (where she's a 3rd grader) and Junie B. Jones.

Jason and Kate said...

I know how you feel. It's no wonder I show up to book club without actually reading the book. :) Actually, I've read more since Wyatt's been born...probably because I have more time on my hands.

Summertime Designs said...

That is so cute. Sometimes when I read I have my own "tv" version in my head. But then when they make a movie after the book, my tv version is ruined because it is nothing like how I imagined! That's so great that Olivia is a reader. That will help her tons in school!