Thursday, September 16, 2010

What Matters.

As you all know Shane teaches students from all over the world. He spent 2 months in Iraq and 23 of those Iraqi teachers have been here for the past month receiving further instruction.

A few days ago one of the Iraqi teachers said to Shane, "Your life is so hard."

Shane's brain nearly flipped upside down trying to grasp what this woman...from Iraq...could possibly mean. I'm sure he probably wanted to remind her that she was from Iraq, SHE is the one that gets bombed on a daily basis, SHE is the one that has to worry if death is around the corner for her or her family members, SHE is the one that comes from a war torn country. Certainly it is SHE that has the hard life.

Instead, he asked her to explain what she meant.

She talked of how scheduled he is (as most Americans are). How he has to spend so much time working on and accomplishing tasks. That in Iraq they all go home at 2 pm and have a big feast and enjoy time together every day.

And as he told me this I couldn't help but think...she's right.

Our lifestyles here are actually pretty crappy. They consist of work, work, work and more work mingled with some family time. Why do we work so hard for things when it's people that matter? We want a bigger house, a better car, nicer clothes, the latest technology, or just to be the best in our business...but none of that matters.

If I could be in Greer with my family, every day, with the possibility that there might be a bomb, I think I'd take it because every day matters so much more. Every day is so enjoyable. Every day is worth living. Every day I'm surrounded by people I love and that love me. Not a 54" TV screen or iPad's or granite countertops--but people.

Want to know what matters?

Them:


9 comments:

RecipeNut said...

Thanks for the insight, I was just thinking today how much we push and work and most of it isn't really that much fun and when I think about what I'd rather be doing, it's always spending more time with family :)

DianD said...

Aren't we the lucky ones who enjoy being with family! So many in the world have lost sight of that! So sad! I thank the Lord every day for this beautiful family! Love you all so much!

DianD said...

BTW....It is so difficult to leave comments on your post, I almost don't do it. It took me4 times to be able to leave this one. First the word varification doesn't show until the first time I try to post, and then it takes (this time 3)times to "get the characters right" before it will let me post. In case I don't respond sometimes.... that's why! :)

Allyson & Jere said...

Ummm, I would totally spend the rest of my life sitting in a cabin in Greer with nothing but some running water and some food to eat. Except that even THAT takes money. Stupid, money...it's the DEVIL!

Good post though.

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Family really is the most important. It is amazing to hear the perspective of someone from a war torn region.

Bryson Jones said...

Too true! I'm telling you, no better way to have a child come home from a mission I am sure (at least from the missionary perspective). Was it you or Lana that I heard say, "NOW how can I ensure that my child enters the MTC the week before Greer so we can do this again?" All in all I wouldn't change a thing. Love you!

Jere Van Patten said...

I can't wait for him to get home today for you to see what present he got from one of his students... Let's just say it's for you! =)

Mei Day said...

Amen,

Who's the one who decided an 8 hour day is standard? As much as I like my co-workers, I'd hate to think at the end of my life I spend more time with Doug from Accounting than with my wife and child.

Crandell Fam said...

So true, and such a good post. I agree...and I'm too caught up in the work work work mentality to often. Thanks!