Monday, June 28, 2010

Swim Team


Olivia and Owen are both on swim team this year.

Olivia is really good.

Owen....is learning. :)

Olivia is great at freestyle, a natural at backstroke and she just clicked with butterfly. It's so exciting to watch her growth.

Owen, on the other hand, needs a lot of stroke work and an attitude adjustment and then we might get somewhere faster. He enjoys the friends and he likes the meets where he gets ribbons, he just hates the hard work part. (and the cold water)

They don't have little speedo's like they used to :(. I was sort of disappointed by this. My brother Porter used to live in his speedo all summer and I sort of had visions of Owen running around like that too, but I suppose times have changed and so have swim suits.

Here is his racing suit.
I kept trying to get him to pose normal but he told me, "But mom, I want to look awesome." So that's him looking awesome, in case you were wondering.

I love swim team.

I can see them getting stronger before my very eyes. It's so good for them. Physically and mentally.

I don't think enough parents push their kids to do hard things anymore and that bugs me. I let my kids be "kids" plenty, but they do have to learn how to work hard, not quit, and do things they don't always feel like doing. I figure if they learn how to do that now it will be a lot better than trying to teach them at 25 while they try to live in my house and escape reality.

Swim team is a good place to start for that.

5 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

Super cute post. Love the pics of Owen looking awesome. And frankly, I'm greatful that they no longer have those wee little speedos. These racing suits are MUCH better.

MamaD said...

Still can't believe how big the kids are. It makes me excited for all the things Lucy can look forward to but kinda sad too that she will have to grow up to enjoy them. I'm guessing that she will have a little brother or sister by then and that just blows my mind!

DianD said...

Great post. Love your philosophy! ;) I remember you at 4 hating the cold water, not loving swim team too much, especially the workouts that were so hard, but Coach Soares forced you to work out and I wouldn't let you quit and look what an awesome person you are! :) Seriously, I believe so strongly in this philosophy and the discovery that hard is really and truly quite fun!

Mel said...

Dude, I'm officially doomed. I am hereby envisioning all four of my boys living at home with me for the rest of their lives since they don't even dare dunk their heads in the swimming pool and your kids are on the freaking swim team.

I am so very, very impressed.

Mei Day said...

Tell Owen that I think his poses are awesome.