Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Three Things I Am Ever So Thankful For.

No, it's not my kids.

I mean, come on, that goes without saying. Boring.

Before I get to my list of three, it requires a brief explanation.

I am an allergy sufferer, as I think has been mentioned on here before.

I started getting them when I was pregnant with Owen and they are fierce!

I mean completely debilitating allergies--lay in bed, can't function because my eyes won't stop pouring out water and my nose won't stop dripping out snot kind of allergies. (too much?) Well sorry, that's how my allergies are and if you've ever seen me during allergy season, you know.

When living in UT my allergy season was from early May until about July. Then I would get them a little bit again in the fall, but not too bad. I never went to a doctor and was never tested, so I didn't even know what my allergies were--just that it was something outside.

So I moved to AZ hoping that maybe my allergies would go away (wishful thinking) and they got worse and suddenly there was no "season"...I had them all the time.

Finally I went to an allergist and got tested. Turns out I am massively allergic to every kind of grass there is and that in Arizona that is a year round allergy.

Nice.

So the doctor prescribed Singular, an expensive medicine even with insurance. I've tried every over the counter medicine without any success, so I was hopeful that this might work.

It was better, but not fantastic. And for $30/month, I wanted fantastic.

Enter my sister-in-law Lana, the first thing (who happens to be a person) I am thankful for.
Just ingnore Porter in this picture...while I'm thankful for him too, this isn't about him. Sorry Port.
One of the things I really love about Lana is that if you share something with her she really listens and tries to help you come up with a solution. And her solutions are really good.

While lamenting about my allergies she shared with me her similar struggle with allergies and what her doctor has prescribed.

1 claritin and 1 flaxseed oil pill every morning and night.

Since we were losing our insurance soon I decided it couldn't hurt to try it. So I did.

Enter the next two things I am incredibly grateful for.

Flaxseed oil pills...



And Claritin.


These have been like miracle drugs for me.

I'm putting this on my blog because I'm hoping if anyone is struggling with allergies like I have they might want to give this a try. I was constantly searching for solutions.

And I'm thankful for Lana one more time because as I was talking to her the other night I told her how excited I was to have a $4 off coupon for Claritin. She just looked at me and shook her head, "Dixie, Dixie, Dixie..." she said, "Don't buy Claritin. You can get Costco's brand of 300 pills for $11.99 as compared to 45 pills of Claritin for $26."

Seriously! Why do I not talk to Lana every day.

Thank you Lana. Thank you flax seed oil pills. And thank you Claritin and Costco Claritin for saving my life.

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments: