Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Party Hats & Kitty Cat Cakes

Morgan turned 3 yesterday.

For the past 5 months she has been telling everyone that will listen that she is going to have a birthday party, and "there will be party hats and I'm going to have a kitty-cat cake."

She never actually asked or told me that she wanted these things.  She simply explained to everyone she saw that this is how it was going to be...and so it was.

Do you think that's how The Secret works?  Maybe I should try that out.

I was happy to oblige....Party Hats &


Kitty-Cat Cake.
Deciding on their cake has become a tradition for the kids.  They LOVE it and talk about it for months and months before their birthdays.

Now, I make no claims of being a professional cake-maker.  

I'm sure Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss and perhaps many of you would laugh at my cake, but the kids love it and I do it because I love them.  I actually enjoy the creation process more than I ever would have thought.

Here's a shout out to Jenalee Garrett who practically forced me to make an Elmo cake for Owen's first birthday.  She tracked down all the stuff for me and held my hand through the whole process.  I owe it to her for starting this tradition for us.  Plus she taught me important words like "crumb cote" and how to make Elmo look "furry".

Because of her I have made 2 Elmo cakes, 1 Barbie cake, 1 Hello Kitty cake, 1 Train Cake, 1 Island of Sodor w/ Thomas the Train cake, and 1 Kitty-Cat cake.  Thanks Jenalee!

Morgan is a fiery little girl.

There's a lot of spunk that fits in that small body...and a lot of food that fits in that small body too.

Today, after the kids got shots and were sad, I told them we should talk about things we like and that make us happy to get our minds off the shots.  Morgan told me, "I like to eat."

One of my favorite things Morgan says is, "I berry love you."  She starts many sentences with "I berry."  "I berry don't like that."  "That berry hurt me."  You get the idea.  And she has a very loud, and sorta scratchy, voice that you can't help but love.

She's also recently embraced her feminine side and likes to flip her hair and walk with her hands on her hips "like a pretty girl" as often as chances permit.  After setting all her presents out last night we wanted her to pose by them for a picture and she put her arms out, cocked her head to one side, smiled coyly and said, "That makes me look pretty."

Morgan is wonderful in so many ways and I feel lucky to be her Mom.

Happy Birthday Morgan.

13 comments:

Lana said...

I bery love Morgan too. She is the spunkiest, funniest kid. The kitty cat cake is amazing! Seriously, you did an incredible job. :) Happy birthday to Morgan!!

Melanie said...

I can't believe Morgan is three. She is so cute and I wish I could be there to hear her scratchy little voice.

I'm impressed by your cake making. The cat is darling (and appropriate from all the cat drama at your house this year). I am horrible at cakes but am like you, and have realized I enjoy the process more than I thought I would. I'm glad we aren't the only ones that talk about future birthday cakes years in advance.

You are a good mom.

Greg and Tammy said...

Amazing cake Dixie! Ummm... our family tradition is to order a Costco cake and eat the whole thing... no matter how many people are at the party. Does that count? :)

Jules said...

Great job on the cake. You are a much better mom than I. We attempted to make a car cake for Nathan's 2nd or 3rd Birthday. It was more work then we cared for so from then on we let the kids pick out the cake at Safeway and then we don't have to worry about it.

MamaD said...

Your cake looks great - I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you. I can't believe that Morgan is already three. The last time we saw her (I can't even remember when), she was barely talking in sentences. I don't know if I have that much ambition to make cakes like you do - and Lucy's 1 year birthday will be here before we know it.

Summertime Designs said...

Happy Birthday Morgan! I love that she is such a little lady. Okay, you are brave to let your kids choose what they want their cake to be! And you did a great job on the kitty. That will be a special memory for your kids.

Natalie said...

You did a great job on that cake! I already let Adrian know that I am not talented like that and our kids won't have cute, fancy cakes. Your kids are lucky. Tell Morgan happy birthday from us!
p.s. your bike trip looked awesome! I am now trying to plan something similar up the northeast coast.

CJ Rush said...

You are talented at that cake making! That is the cutest kitty cat! My birthday is in February and I am going to have a zebra purse birthday cake! (Morgan--I should repeat this frequently every month til then, right?)

Northern Girl Crafts said...

Hi, Love your cat cake! I'm making one for my sister in law cause she loves cats. Thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

google law firm

Anonymous said...

How many times have you heard of a person saying their interest started as a hobby, and had
no idea that it would develop into a new financially gainful career.

These simple styles can still include the needed medical information without being gaudy or noticeable.
With the increasing costs of outside activities, many
adults are turning to crafts for something to occupy their minds and otherwise idle hands.


Have a look at my blog post :: earrings

Anonymous said...

Today while the main format of the bricks
are the same, Lego has turned the product
from a simple toy to versatile sets that can be mixed together
to create stunning designs. Christmas comes round quickly and is almost upon us yet again.
com receives around four million visitors per month.


Feel free to surf to my homepage - lego castle

Anonymous said...

google law firm